Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

DIY Project: Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:29 PM
HCF Member
Default DIY Project: Undercoating

hey doods,

it's wintertime so you'll probably get a lot of road grime and salt underneath your car.

and if you didn't know, that's BAD for hondas, because they're notorious for developing rust in the rear quarter panels near the wheel wells.

I noticed the undercoating in my rear wheel well was beginning to flake off so I decided to re-undercoat the wheel wells.

it's not sooper hard either.

the hardest part is finding the undercoating spray. I found genuine 3M rubberized undercoating spray at Wal-Mart this morning for $5 in the automotive paint section.

to begin with, wash your car. lol. then take your wheels off. (duh)

then scrub the wheel wells with soapy water to get the remaining loose flakes of undercoating and any leftover road grime off. then let the area dry or towel dry.

then spray way for a sticky, gooey shine. lol.

and that's it. rusty quarter panels prevented, YO!

woooo-hooo!!1

Old 02-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: DIY Project: Undercoating

man you need to paint your rotors.LMFAO
tho i would also add... when undercoating.... cover your brakes with some news papers or something to keep it from geting on what it shouldnt be on....

i plan on doing mine this summer but i want to jack the whole car up and sandblast all around the inner wheels and be sure that undercoating is stuck realy good!!!
i bought this little sandblaster gun id like to try also.LOL looks decent and under 25bucks... kind alooks like a small paint ball gun.LOL air hose conection and a hoper ontop to put the sand... should be good for little projects...

Old 02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

man you need to paint your rotors.LMFAO
You cant paint the rotors, as soon as you put the brakes on, it would come off. You mean the drums?. BTW, they just look like that because he washed the car, as soon as he put the brakes on, all that brownish color will come off the rotors.

drbyers, it looks like your just spraying the plastic in the wheel well?
I get my car oiled, and next winter im planning not to drive it.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:26 PM
HCF Member

i only glanced the plastic bits. it won't hurt them because the paint im using is rubber polymer.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: drbyers

i only glanced the plastic bits. it won't hurt them because the paint im using is rubber polymer.

I ment to say that it only looks like you sprayed the plastic, and not the metal.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

actualy.... mines still on my rotors

i painted the ends and the center diameter... still thier and looken good...

Name:  civic17s086.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  55.9 KB

only part of the paint thats no sticking is where the wheel actualy touches...
id take a new picture of them as they are now.. BUT i got my stock steelies on so ya cannt see them anymore.LOL
but the caliper paint is still sticken great... as long as ya steel wire brush the metal and clean it it should stick good..

try it
i just used the preaty cheap brush on caliper paint from autozone... looks a hell of alot beter than rust
tho i should say PLEASE KEEP IT BLACK..... LOL any other colors would look stupid!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

actualy.... mines still on my rotors

i painted the ends and the center diameter... still thier and looken good...
Ahhhh...ya on thos parts it would stay, I was talking about the actually surface. I only did my drums and my calipers, my drums look like crap now because I did like a 5 min paint job last summer. This year Ill take them off and paint them the proper way.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya for the drums it helps to have a wheel brush grinder setup
or posibly sand blast them..... and i just used the caliper spray paint for them.. with quite a few layers also! but like everything CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN before paint..

i see what ya mean by the pad contact points.... of course that wont stay for 5seconds of driving.LOL