Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Eibach coilover alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Default Eibach coilover alignment

I neeeed alignment so bad its not funny. I took my civ to firestone and tried to get an alignment and I asked if it mattered if I had aftermarket suspension on and it had been lowered obviously. He said they only knew what the stock specs were so he said he couldn't do the alignment. I asked around and got 2 different answers, my buddys dad who owns a small shop said he thought that as long is it was only dropped, the stock specs would be ok, and my dads buddy who used to race civics but now races rx8's said there was a website or something where I could find the specs. whose right? has anyone had problems getting an alignment after a slightly major drop in height?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Eibach coilover alignment

I was told by the owner of an alignment shop that drops over 1.5 inches will probably require an alignment kit. I'm keeping mine, "moderate" to avoid yet another expense and to be able to actually drive over speed bumbs at more-than-a-crawl speeds. I know that Eibach sells the alignment kits. Tirerack has them.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 AM
June 2010 ROTM

You can align most any car, just with modifications it can be "harder" to do, so shops will dick you around into not doing it. If you drop below 1.5 inches your camber won't be able to be corrected to the specs.

Camber is the angle at which you tire sits. So, your car's tires should be like this: | | With improper camber they angle in / / if you lower and out \ \ if you raise up the car.

So, they will be able to correct everything but the camber. They will suggest you to get camber kits, which if you have the money get 'em, but they are not necessary UNLESS you lower it more than 1.75 inches or so.

more info on alignment: http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/al...118T/index.htm

Old 10-03-2007, 12:32 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Regardless of camber changes, they can still zero out your toe, and that is what's important to avoid crazy tire wear!

your aftermarket coilovers did not change the stock toe adjusters.

read the stickies!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 PM

alright so i guess ill just go back to that shop and say, fix it please, u a holes. I went to procivic.com to see if there was some kind of alignment stuff i was missing, and the only thing there for the front were 2 bolts and i already have those exact same ones, i got them from carquest or something. so am i ready for an alignment?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:12 AM
HCF Member

if camber doesnt wear out the tires how come 90% of people say you need a camber kit? I dont know what to think. My camber is slightly border line.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:37 PM
June 2010 ROTM

improper camber does wear your tires. For people that don't have 200 dollars to spend on a slight camber issue, it's not the end of the world.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:19 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: burgernuds

if camber doesnt wear out the tires how come 90% of people say you need a camber kit? I dont know what to think. My camber is slightly border line.
Because they don't know what they are talking about. Because wear caused by excessive toe, LOOKS like wear caused by excessive camber. There is a good article about it in the stickies.

That said, I somewhat take back what I said earlier, because I didn't realized you had a 01+ Civic. I'm not familiar with the macpherson strut civics and I don't know where your stock adjusters are

Old 10-06-2007, 03:59 PM

toe off sucks. my rear right wheel was off pretty badly for just a few months, ate my tire up.

hard to tell in the pics but its def. noticable in person. first ones the bad tire, other is the rear left which is still good.
Name:  3a-1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  58.8 KB

negative camber with correct toe will just eat the inner part of the tire. bad toe with correct camber will eat up all of the tire at a pretty fast rate.