Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

ground control coilover's question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:15 PM
HCF Member
Default ground control coilover's question

Hello

Well, as some of you guys know, I have never lower my car because of my awful steep driveway. But because I'm thinking of getting some new wheels (15's), I decided to screw the driveway situation (I'll just raise the car to stock level every time I need to get into the garage[&:]) and get me some ground control coilover's with some tokico illuminas.

However, because money is a little tight right now, I want to hold off from buying the tokico's .... so my question is are the ground control's coilovers that are designed to fit the illumina's the same ground control's coilovers that fit the stock shocks? (I remember mxs mentioning once that they are.... that is only the koni's ground control that don't fit the stock shocks)

Thanks

Old 07-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: ground control coilover's question

i think they are all the same on those stock replacement ones....
the only ones that have the extra 40bucks is Koni and bilstein.. at least on there page it does... best thing to do would be call them and find out.....
Phone: 530-677-8600 9-5 PST Info: mark@ground-control.com

i found out the hard way.LOL i bought used GCs and they where on stock struts.
so to fit my new koni yellows i had to buy new sleeves with that pressed in lower piece to fit my struts.... another i think 100-140bucks. so i didnt save a cent buying used localy but i do have 4 spare regular sleeves now.LOL i figure ill keep them jus incase i ever do blow a strut i can temporarily slap a stock strut on the downtime... since my baby is my daily driver...

as to the driveway situation.... lifting the car to get it UP in the garage is not a very good idea..... do you really feel like jacken the car up, adjusting the coilovers before and after you go to your garage

depending on the ramp to the garage... work your way around it... either boards or some car dollys on the rear to lift the back up while you set the Ebrake to keep the rear wheels from sliding off the dollies while your front wheels pull the car up the ramp...
or if the curb is the main obsticle then get asheet of plastic or tarp, some sand and/or boards and afew bags of concrete and throw down the tarp over the curb and then frame in a area and use sand around the sides of the boards and what not, and ontop of the tarp so the concrete wont stick to it after its fully dry, then just mix the concrete.... pour and smooth it out to a smoother ramp incline let it sit over night to dry alittle AT LEAST.... then once its hard enough to move pick it up and set it outta the way for it to fully harden. after its fully hardened now ya have some movable ramps.

just an idea....
post a picture of your incline your talking about? might be easier to help and think of something ya havent thought of rather than adjusting the coilovers twice every time..

but anyways IMO save up for everything and do it all at once... dont risk blowing your decent stock shocks.... thats money youd be blowing... plus your good stock parts would still be laying in a corner if ya ever decided to sell the car...

Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  80.9 KB

Thanks for the info and ideas addiction2bass, but boards are probably not going to work. Anyways, I don't mind raising the car every 2,500 miles for an oil change. As for blowing a stock shock, I don't mind either... because this year I found an apartment closer to my school so I won't be really needing my car that much and I still have the crx as beater. Also, i don't plan on ever selling my car.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Super Cereal Admin

angle into that b***h... you won't scrape[8D]

just so you know, you'll need an alignment every time you alter the ride height (unless you can manage to get the car back down to where it was in the first place every time). So unless you have a very good hookup, things are going to get expensive.

(and I recall saying I'm never selling my civic, too )

Old 07-05-2008, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: reaper2022
just so you know, you'll need an alignment every time you alter the ride height (unless you can manage to get the car back down to where it was in the first place every time). So unless you have a very good hookup, things are going to get expensive.

He could probably get a lifetime alignment deal from whatever shop he uses. But it'd still be a pain to have to get it aligned every time.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well dang you got a sunk driveway.LOL

just change your oil out in the street than....