Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

help i'm buying new tires!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Default help i'm buying new tires!

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 2000 civic sedan and the first thing im doing is putting it on some nice rims.

Already got some nice 15x6s picked out now im looking for the best deal on tires.

I like the 185/65s but im wondering if there is a better size than that.

I'm going for the perfect balance between looks and performance but obviously with tires probably a little more performance.

I'm not cheap but money doesn't grow on trees either so I'm looking for the best deal I can find.

Any suggestions for me?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:58 PM

205/50/15. Perfect for a Civic sedan, in my opinion. That's the widest you can go and not have any kind of rubbing problem, but it's not too wide. Grips corners very well.

I've had good luck with Kumho tires. I'm currently using Kumho Ecsta AST's but I screwed up my alignment and now they're badly worn. I've put Kumho Solus KR-21 and KH-16's on my mom's van and my sisters' cars. They've never had any problems. My mom is driving that van across the country right now, actually. If I had to suggest a decent tire, I'd say the KR-21's.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
205/50/15. Perfect for a Civic sedan, in my opinion. That's the widest you can go and not have any kind of rubbing problem, but it's not too wide. Grips corners very well.

I've had good luck with Kumho tires. I'm currently using Kumho Ecsta AST's but I screwed up my alignment and now they're badly worn. I've put Kumho Solus KR-21 and KH-16's on my mom's van and my sisters' cars. They've never had any problems. My mom is driving that van across the country right now, actually. If I had to suggest a decent tire, I'd say the KR-21's.
thank you very much!

After doing some more research I decided the 205/50s are what I really want.

Now I like the price of the Kumhos a lot but I have watched their track testing videos and they rank low in some areas. Do you have any experience with Dunlop? specifically the direzza dz101s. These are a little more expensive but still in my price range and i wanna get some feedback on them.

Also the nitto neo gen are right in there too.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 AM

The Dunlop is a good tire, but it is a Goodyear product. Their longevity is suspect. I would research Toyo's. I've had great luck in the past with them. I'm on Bridgestone's now, which is the best tire I've ever owned, but they are EXPENSIVE.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

You might want to read this comparison article that was recently published in Car & DRiver magazine:

Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver