Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

i got a couple questions about my tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:15 AM
HCF Member
Default i got a couple questions about my tires

first of all i bought my 99 honda civic ex from my buddy, he had a skunk2 coilovers on and the car had ur basic steely wheels, i purchased 17 inch rims and put them on and then i lowered it as much as i could to wear they werent rubbing all the time. i didnt notice with the regular tires so im sure if i was like it but now the back two are bowed out how do i fix that? and the in the front car when im driving it pulls to the right, even when im braking too. whats the deal with that? thanks kevin

Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: i got a couple questions about my tires

anything guys?

Old 08-21-2006, 11:17 PM
HCF Member

first off check your tire pressures and make sure theyre right. if theyre all good get an alignment. that should fix your dragging problems. second which way are your tires bowed? either way you have camber issues. you need a camber kit. front will run around 200-250 and rear around 125.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:42 AM
HCF Member

the back ones are bowed out away from the car, where do i get a camber kit?

Old 08-22-2006, 09:35 AM

first of all i bought my 99 honda civic ex from my buddy, he had a skunk2 coilovers on and the car had ur basic steely wheels, i purchased 17 inch rims and put them on and then i lowered it as much as i could to wear they werent rubbing all the time. i didnt notice with the regular tires so im sure if i was like it but now the back two are bowed out how do i fix that? and the in the front car when im driving it pulls to the right, even when im braking too. whats the deal with that? thanks kevin
well this is pretty vague, I hope to comprehend this right.

you bought your friend's car, it had stock rims on, ontop of coil-overs. k got that part

then you bought and installed 17" rims, then you dropped the coil-overs until the tires were not rubbing the inside of the fender wells. k got that part.

the back two tires will need to be aligned at a shop, and they will tell you that lowering your car requires that you have adjustable Camber kit, installed, so they can adjust everything appropriately so that your tires do not wear too fast.

when you say they are bowed, to you mean they extend from the top of the tire, outward.. or that they extend outward from the bottom?

If and when you lower or change the aspects of your suspension, you must get your wheel's aligned, $45 bucks.

But be sure you specially state, that you car has been altered so that they "the alignment guys" know what type of car they'll be working on, and not your standard Momma-bumble-bee civic.

You must tell them that your car has been lowered and has camber kits installed, and that you want your whole suspension checked for alignment (most places do not do the job right, because they are un-educated or you have not requested a full check) people want to hurry people out the door with your money and without doing the right job, so be sure you aren't going to be screwed with, like me.... and get full print out on your alignment numbers. and dont touch them, take it back into them to have them touch their settings... i wasted 70 bucks finding this out.

Just a few weeks ago, I installed Ebay cheapo coil-overs, and cheap camber kits, I regret it now, I should have gone with Skunk2 lowering springs or some HP suspension strut and spring package.

if you want to go coil-over route, I suggest they are the Full coil-over, not some kit you install on your stock struts, from ebay, those are crap and I have had $$$ go POOF just trying to get to the point where I can drive my car again.

Hope this helps.