Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Improving Handling for summer slaloms... and for the fun of driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Default RE: Improving Handling for summer slaloms... and for the fun of driving

ORIGINAL: ALX

Nothing too drastic like some people think (Lower the better) but just a little bit to lower your center of gravity and also to stiffen up the spring rates, ie; lowering springs have stiffer spring rates to keep from bottoming out.

this is understand, but do lowering springs acutally lower the car or do they just have a stiffer spring rate? And how much lower to the springs usaly go then stock. I wnat stiff *** springs, but looking aroundi need to lower the car to achieve that. not something i wnat to do quite yet.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 PM

the cheap adjustable coilovers you can usually keep stock hight. and be really stiff.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:24 PM
HCF Member

^ Dropzone makes a good adjustable coilover setup that's affordable. I think some people around here have them.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:37 PM

yeah I'm wanna do what Super Mario is doing, get the stiffness with any or much lowering. Since I live in Canada I get 30 cm snow falls at once a couple times during the season so I want to eliminate the plow effect that i'll be doing with a lowered ride.

EDIT: I saw those DropZone adjustable coilovers... it seems they do it all for 250$ US!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:35 AM
ALX

If you add a rear swaybar it will eliminate understeer, also if your rear spring rates are higher than the front it will help as well. Some people who autocross use drop springs up front and even the cheap coilover in back to achieve a really stiff rear end to help in cornering but since you want a stiff suspension all around and you don't want to drop it too much or any, then go with coilovers.

If you go with coilovers at least get a good brand name, either Skunk2s, Ground Control which uses Eibach springs, or Dropzone. Since you're adding a really stiff spring to your suspension, thus making it more bouncy, you HAVE TO add stiffer shocks as well to prevent the bounciness. If you can afford adjustable go for it but either Tokico blues or Koni shocks (Yellow) will do the same thing.

Remember to think of ride quality as well. If you're tempted to buy the $35 coilover set off ebay, remember that there is absolutely no R&D done on those coils and they are stiff as a board. You would need a super stiff shock to make those work decently and then your ride would feel like driving a shopping cart!