Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:56 PM
HCF Member
Default lowering springs

Whats the differance between lowering springs and lowering springs with coilovers? I've got stock rims and stock suspension on my 98 DX, and i'm looking to lower it about 3 inches with lowering springs. Will this be ok? Not for show and not that serious about my car, just looking to add a little apperance to it, maybe handling if i get that. I've found some cheap coilovers around 100

Old 08-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Springs are a designated ride height which cannot be adjusted. Coilovers are basically adjustable springs that you can lower from anywhere between 0"-4". You will probably not find springs that'll lower your car 3", so start looking at coilovers.

If you get the "coilovers" that look just like springs, but with a metal sleeve (i.e http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...=p4506.c0.m245), and you want to lower the car 3", you will blow your stock struts extremely fast. If you go this route, start looking at performance shocks/struts that can handle being that low. If you plan on dropping 3", you'll also want to think about camber kits (at least $200 for the front and rears).

This is a real coilover kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...=p4506.c0.m245. It allows you to adjust almost everything. There are cheaper versions of this, but then you might start to run into quality issues I am assuming.

My suggestion is to research what will be most cost effective for you. Just remember, when you do anything with the suspension of your car, you'll most likely need an alignment. If you do end up dropping the car, it's a lot easier to just get the lifetime alignment plan for your car so you can continually go back and get it done for free!

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 08-14-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

either way you go springs or coilovers you are going to need to look into some new struts. if you are just wanting a cheap drop on a budget ebay has decent coilovers. you just have to put on a good set of struts with them thats what my car is lowered on and its every bit as low as most people want to go. but i put them on with my stock struts and within 2 weeks i blew 3 out of the 4.
so i just went to the local parts store and picked up a cheap set with a lifetime warranty so now the problem is solved plus my car is LOW but honestly for a smoothe ride i would suggest saving your money and going with a nice known brand of fully adjustables and some lowering/performance struts.

but as stated above KEEP YOUR CAR ALIGNED AFTER THE DROP or you will go through tires quick. gets expensive,