Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

my discovery

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Default my discovery

today at work, i put my car up on a lift, and i realized i hasd a front sway bar and never even noticed it before.

i was wondering, would new aluminum rear lower control arms make a difference, and how much difference would a rear swaybar make to my car.

here is the control arms i am looking at. http://www.function-7.com/a0-sus-info2.html

heres more pictures on the lca's http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...8212QQtcZphoto

Old 03-06-2006, 10:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: my discovery

The topic in autoshop today was suspension, so its still fresh(ish) in my mind. Aluminium control arms and such will give you better handeling because it reduces the unsprung weight. Everything your car hits a bump and stuff everything in the suspension has to move as well. The lighter this suspension parts are, the faster they will move and give you better handeling. I hear that new sway bars will help out alot because reduces the tendancy of the car to tip one way during a turn, but your gonna want to get one that is thicker than the stocker. Rear sway bars will also help, but i think some modification to the suspension is required. Strut braces also help. Polyureathane bushings also limit how much the suspension can move around, which also is gonna help you handle better.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:19 PM

do you think i would feel a difference with the aluminum lca's, or should i get both the lca's and a rear sway bar. i can't add a sway bar to the stock lca's because there is no where to mount them

Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 PM
HCF Member

I think this might be a good idea. Instead of getting the aluminium control arms show there, get a rear disc conversion. That way, you will have a rear sway bar and a disc conversion. You won't get the big fat sway bars, but you could buy a set for the front and back. If it was my car, i'd opt to get the rear disc b/c you get both better brakes and better handling. BTW, i've never done any suspension mods so also consider that when you read my advice.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:20 PM
HCF Member

you keep your rear LCAs with a brake swap. its the only part back there that you use the stock one. you can get a reatr sway without the LCAs, but i have no idea of the brand. i got mine off of a friend, and he doesnt remember what brand it is.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

here. dont know if it helps, but it gets the idea across.

[IMG]local://upfiles/436/53D083D427674B9084BE0E6C5B0C5AFF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 AM

i do want to switch to rear disc brakes, and get spherical bearings to replace the trailing arm bushings, the aluminum lca's, and a rear sway bar. i think my car would handle a lot bettle with all of those.