Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

My experience today..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Default My experience today..

I wanted to give everyone a good laugh and a sort of a shocker so i'm going to share what happened to me not too long ago.

Since my civic was purchased, the rear two struts have always been blown. The previous owner had bought Ground Control coilovers for the car but had never put them on. He just messed with the springs (i forgot the story of whether he heated the springs or cut the sprigns). My sister had purchased the car because I was driving a Neon at the time. Anyway her husband put on the coilovers and by some (now fortunate) twist of fate i ended up owning the car 6 months after she had bought it (dont ask me how. Here are the pics of the car http://www.myspace.com/thehaloproject just check the gallery). So after a year of tossing my lunch due to the horrible bouncing of the rear end, and a nearly horrendous accident i had, I decided to replace the rear struts. The rear passenger side uppermount bushing is torn but nothing major. that side was also missing a bump stop but whatever. More to the point, I replace everything with two stock struts for the rear. The guys at ground control say their entry-level kits work best with stock struts. So whatever i'm rolling along and decided to take a 90 degree turn that opens up at the end (level surface) at 40 miles an hour. so i'm accelerating as i approach the turn (didnt have the opportunity to open up for the turn as a car was coming in the opposite direction) and i make the turn, and i came out doing 60 mph. and that's when my rear end CAME OUT OF NOWHERE! and I fish tailed!!! I dont know how but I managed to OVERSTEER NASTY!!!! I let the car roll onto a grassy hill about a foot and a half tall and was able to stop it just intime to hear a lady come out of her house chasing me calling me an a**hole. lol.. i zipped out of there of course lol but this leads to my question.. why did that happen? why would my car oversteer like that? a friend told me it might be the toe angle of the rear tires but i want other peoples opinions. thanks for reading my obnoxiously long and boring story

Old 05-19-2007, 04:39 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: My experience today..

o chit the old lady called you a acehole ...lol...

hows your rear tiers they bald???
also did you just whatch Toyko Drift before you drove today by chance...lol....just playing..

if your car is lowered and such your camber might off?? check your tiers...

Old 05-19-2007, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: hatch46580

also did you just whatch Toyko Drift before you drove today by chance...lol....just playing..
Everybody says that! lol
The camber angles are off on the rear tires, the rear end looks like it got hit on both sides because of the angle of the tires. I'm doing the washer trick tho I figure that torn bushing in the uppermount isnt helping things either. and no the tires arent bald. Do you think that me having a Front STB might have caused the oversteer? I have a friend that races on actual track (i.e. Laguna Seca) and he told me that the front STB wouldnt cause the oversteer. What do you think?

Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 AM
HCF Member

If you have stock springs up front, that is why you are oversteering. Even most aftermarket kits come with firmer springs up front than in back to maintain the natural handling balance of the car. What happens is that the stiffer end of your car (in this case the rear because they are upgraded but the fronts aren't) generally breakes traction first. It is more complicated than just this, but this is the basic idea.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:19 PM

i like overly complicated explanations. Trust me I like to be educated about everything involving cars. Front spring rates are 350 and rear are 250. it certainly does feel a bit firmer but you think that's what's causing it to oversteer? the stb wouldnt make a difference then?