Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Newbie needs suggestion for drop / and rim

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Default Newbie needs suggestion for drop / and rim

Well, i have a Sedan civic 2004 LX . Bought it used, i like it a lot , especially the head lights

So I'm totally new to this rims and car drop thing. Questions:

1/ what are the numbers on 225/35/17R means when i look for tires that will fit my rims.
- I've read about the tires review thread , there's some tires makes road noise when running high speed, i dont' mind much , which are top brand you recommend?

2/ i want 17" rims after a while debating . I believe i have 4 lug nuts and don't know what size - what are specs number i need to know before buying ones? like height / width , lug size ... etc/

3/ My car is white, I'mthinking of silver polished / white/ black with chrome lip rims, which ones suites best. ? ( I think all of them are) - I prefer clean sporty look. Please send suggestion for rims style and sample pictures would be appreciated.

4/ Dropping the car... how do they do it? I read a couple of threads before spending nearly 1 hour to learn all of these new stuff. So getting the spring is better than coilover . What spring should i get and how low i should drop to get a decent look for my car? About 1" to 1.5" range?

HOwever, i hit my rear bumper to a truck's bumper now, theres a huge crack. Is there any reliable store or ebay item that i can buy the rear bumper for cheap? I'll just buy the bumper and have some technician install it. The average price of bumper and painted is 200$ range.... i want sth lower.

Few shots in wide angle of my car when i first got it. Will post new pix if i put on new rims and lowered :

All help are appreciated!!!

Name:  KhanhCivic0417copy.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  79.8 KB
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Default RE: Newbie needs suggestion for drop / and rim

First of all, most of these questions could be answered by using the search feature, I realise that you said you did, but look around a little further, it's faster than waiting for people to reply anyway usually. I'll shed what little light I can on this anyway...

1) That's the size of tire you'd be putting on the rim. 225 is the width, which is a little wide for a honda, but might be okay for a 7th gen. 35 is the profile of the tire, and anything below 50 is going to give you a bit of a rougher ride, so be warned. 17 is the size of the wheel, 17=17"
2) 17's would look sick as hell on your car imo.Yes you have 4 lugs, again I'm not sure of the exact numbers because it's a 7th gen. on 5th and 6th gens the bolt pattern is 4x100, so it could be that, I suggest you search it or google it.
3) As for rim style and color, I'd say go with Konig Imagine in Hyper Silver, Konig Feather in silver, or Konig Hurry in Hyper Silver. Konig wheels rock and you can find them for decent prices.
4) Coilovers are good for dropping your suspension because if you don't like your height, you can just change it.. lol. Usually the ride is a little bit more comfortable with lowering springs, but it sucks to spend $200 on springs only to be unsatisfied with the outcome (personal experience). If you go with coilovers or springs that drop more than 1.5" I'd recomend getting new shocks as well because your OEM ones wont last long and wont be nearly as comfortable to ride on.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck on the car though,It'll look pretty sick with a drop and some nicer wheels

Old 09-16-2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for suggestion, I'll read some more though.. Pretty much all my concerns are answered and i know what i need :_

Old 09-16-2007, 05:58 PM

Awesome, be sure to post some pics when you've got the stuff on. I'd definatly like to see the finished product!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:08 PM

btw, which are good shock sets do you recommend. I won't go for tenshi stuff,it's expensive. I'd prefer sth smooth and reliable, i'm not racers.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:06 PM

I have the Tokico HP setup, springs and shocks. The ride is really nice, a little too soft for my tastes which sounds like it'd be perfect for what your looking for. Unfortunetly they're a little more pricy for a 7th gen, but probably still the cheapest full set you'll find. Search on ebay