Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Putting back stock suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Default Putting back stock suspensions

I bought a civic from my cousin and it has a lowering kit. I want to put it back to stock springs just because i'm tiered of feeling all the road bumps.

My question is, is it possible to replace just the springs on a lowering kit struts?
Could I just replace the front suspensions and leave the back? because the front is the one that feels all the bumps.

Honda told me to replace the struts and springs at the same time and would cost me 260 each for front and 240 each on back.

Need help

Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

What model do you have, I might have all your parts. Ya you should be able to put the stock springs on aftermarket struts. Do it yourself itll cost you parts.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 AM

Hey jpnolan. I have a civic SE 2000 sedan.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

Replacing struts are easy. What type of lowering kit? Coilovers? Lowering springs?
And did honda give you those prices installed, or just for the parts?
You might benifit from just getting newer struts and stock springs, that's what I am running right now on my 01 civic. Feels better and handles better than stock did and doesn 't have that rough riding feel.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 AM

I think I have coilovers as I can adjust the height and such. So with those adjustable struts, could I install stock springs? And could I just replace just the front? or all 4 have to be replace?

Hey mac, how easy is it to install springs and struts from a scale of 1-10, 10 being hard? I heard springs are hard to install.

Honda quoted around 1100 for all parts excluding labour. . I have the money, but I don't think I want to spend that much unless those parts really need replacing. I just want a smoother ride.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:00 PM

it takes like 8 hours if you've never done it before and have no idea what bolts you will be unbolting until you get into it.
i would start at the beginning of a weekend, in case you want to take breaks, and in case you run into seized bolts.
after the first time you do it you'll be able to do it in like 3 hours, or maybe less.

it's not really difficult at all, just time consuming.

here's some tips for not having to use spring compressors:
disassembly:
1. jack up the car (for the rear, the easiest point is the tow hook, for the front the easiest place is the radiator support), place it on jack stands (put the jackstands on the factory jack points on the sides of the car), remove the wheel for the shock you will be working on
2. before you unbolt the shock from the car, unbolt the nut at the top of the shock piston. this will decompress the spring safely, without needing to use spring compressors.
3. unbolt the top bolt of the lower control arm; unbolt the bolt holding the shock to the lower control arm(rear disassembly only)
unbolt the bolt that clamps the shock to the fork and unbolt the bottom of the fork; remove the fork, unbolt the brake lines from the shock.(front disassembly only)
4. do not remove the strut mount from the car, it is not necessary using these methods

assembly:
2. attach the lower portion of the shock to the lower control arm (the part the lower end of the shock bolts into) with the spring and dust boot all sitting on the shock in place.
3. take your jack (since the car should already be on jack stands!) and jack up the lower control arm, thus moving the top of the shock into the shock mount (guide the shock while you jack it up)
4. by reaching in the trunk, bolt the nut onto the shock piston that holds it onto the mount.

i found these steps to be easier than using spring compressors

Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 AM
HCF Member

It really was not hard to install the springs and struts at all. I give it a 3/10. Took me maybe 6 hours and that was with a run to jack in the box.
And as for the spring compressors, it will make your job a whole lot easier especially if you've never done this before. Go to autozone and rent a pair from them. You get all your money back when you return them and i think they give you like 60 days or something outrageous like that.
I know with the Tokico hps like i have you can use stock springs with no problem.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:31 PM

hey me too man. i hate my car bcs its really really low to the ground. im tired so anyone got the whole suspension for all 4 wheels for a 02 honda civic ex 2 door for sale let me ill buy it.i want to go back to its normal height.

Last edited by ricekiller7; 09-16-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:57 AM

Yah it was pretty easy to do. I did the front suspension.

Just rent the compressor at Canadian Tire if your from Canada.

I stripped the bolt that connects the fork with the arm. I don't know how I'm going to remove it.