Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

quiet pop noise up front somewhere help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
HCF Member
Default quiet pop noise up front somewhere help

I have a 2000 civic ex just got new tires on it and alighment done and it was doing this before but it is really quiet and some days it dont do it and some days i hear it more than others but it is not loud i heard what ball joints sound like when they pop cause i had a crx with bad ball joints. but its not very loud and it really dont sound like ball joints but its like a cracking sound or a pop sound prolly more pop sound but its quiet and it only does it whenever i go slow or turn the wheel going slow. I am not too worried about it but i would just like to know what it is and fix it before it gets too bad any ideas and remember it dont do it alot and not all the time just started hearing it about 4,000 miles ago or so and there is 73,000 miles on the car please help i really dont think its any big i already put 1,800 dollars into the car to get alot of crap fixed plus a head gasket and a bunch of other stuff but please help thanks

Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That type of noise heard when making turns is often the sign of a bad CV joint in one or both front axles. Crawl under the front end and inspect both axles. Torn CV boots are a sure sign that the axle needs replacing, although the CV joint also can be bad when the boot is fine.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if it was a bad balljoint then I SHOULD HOPE the alignment shop would have told you they were bad before the alignment!!!!! at least they should!!!!!!
i would go back and ask them to check and see if the balljoints are poping or not... and if not then look into the axle.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM
HCF Member

see i took it to autotire to have them alighn it and accutally they were really nice and i dunno if you have ever heard of autotire but it is a big name tire shop around here in the st louis area but i really dont think it is the ball joints because it really dont sound that bad and they said the wear on my tires were because my toe angle was off my front was off like 45 degrees and my rear was off like 15 degrees so it is all alighned out now but see whats funny is i have not heard that noise in 2 days so i really dunno anything else i should check i mean should i check the cv joints how do i check those and what else should i look for i am not real worried about it since it hardly even does it i just hate to put more money into it whenever i put alot into this honda and dont have much left so please let me know how to check it and what to check for thanks alot