Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

replacing 95 civic dx front pads....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Default replacing 95 civic dx front pads....

Hey all, i have a 95 honda civic DX that needs new (stock) pads. How hard a job is this assuming you have the tools? Any special ones needed?

I'm hoping it's basically, pull the two bolts that hold the calipers, slide them off the rotors, pull the clips that hold the pads in place, and put in the new pads.... make sure they're clipped in, then rebolt.

But what clips do i pull? and how do they pull/push out?

ALSO!! Is it really that important to have the rotors faced? Since i'm keeping it stock, my girlfriend drives mellow (it's her car)... i want it to be safe, but don't think it needs to be perfect. They already seem pretty grabby, at least compared to the tank i drive.

There's no brake induced vibration so i'm confident the rotors are still straight.

Hey, thanks a bunch ahead of time.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:41 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: replacing 95 civic dx front pads....

yeah, you should resurface the rotors, but its not absolutely necessary. take the bolts out. actually, i think its one bolt, then you rotate it up and slide it off backwards. then you pull the old pads out. use something to push the piston back into the caliper, i have a three inch C-clamp just for this. then put the new pads in the same way the old ones were. its a good idea to grease the sliders, the little rods the caliper slides on. the one(s) with a bolt, you just pull the slider out of it and grease it with either lithium or there is small packets of grease for it at autozone and those places for like a buck apiece. also, get some anti-squeal stuff and put it on the back of the pads. then put it back together the way it came apart. its pretty simple. i can do it in like 15 minutes for both front wheels. good luck.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Default RE: replacing 95 civic dx front pads....

Yes. It's one bolt. I made the mistake of loosening the "bootom bolt" first. It leaked brake fluid. Be sure that you unbolt the one ont top behind the caliper. good luck. I got raybestos quiet stop (QS), I think it was only 48 bucks. they work great too!!