Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Default Springs

Hey guys,
I've got a 97 dx coupe and ive got 17's on it with low profile Yokohama's. Im looking to spend about $200 on some springs to lower it. I was wondering what would be my best option. I've looked at neurospeed, and skunk2 and a few othrs but im not rly sure wat to buy especially kuz i just wanna change out the springs because im on a budget. I was also wondering if i should stay from these http://www.k2motor.com/clcv92bksd.html and if so why? Any help would b much appreciated.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 PM

I have been on here for 3 days straight reviewing all the posts on springs and shocks and struts, etc. I have a 2004 Honda Civic SI coupe (can). I got 17" low pro as well. Rides nice, but here is the scoop that I was able to find. You get springs, if its too low, you'll blow out stock shocks, especially on bumps and what not. If you get springs, get shocks too so that don't happen.

Here was my question... If you get springs that lower 1.5". Then put shocks on, would that be good where the springs lowered it already, or would it lower it another 1.5" or so. I'm a noob, and I been through all these forums for 3 weeks now. Lots of information except for the definition of what things do. For instance, I have no idea what the difference is between struts and shocks. Bad I know, but I thought they are the same. Apparently not. Anyone can explain to idiot the difference, this idiot is listening. lol.

Anyway, just wanted to put that in there. Let me know how things work out and what ya find. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

ok, OP by just getting springs you will blow your shocks very fast, depending on the spring rate and how much it lowers your car. Now i suggest you get some tein s-techs. They are the best combo for stock shocks. They wont slam your car, but will give it small drop. Check out sfgiants, he just did this with his car https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ighlight=techs

i suggest you get shocks and springs at the same time. If you have the money get coilovers!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:41 PM

I read bad things about coilovers. Besides that they cost a lot of money. I was told if your only looking at lowering about 1/5", just to get springs and shock because it wouldn't make much sense to get coilovers and spend all that money. Alot of threads on this topic. Impossible to make up my mind what I want to do. lol.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by CanSICoupe
I read bad things about coilovers. Besides that they cost a lot of money. I was told if your only looking at lowering about 1/5", just to get springs and shock because it wouldn't make much sense to get coilovers and spend all that money. Alot of threads on this topic. Impossible to make up my mind what I want to do. lol.
what bad things have you heard about coilovers? You have been mislead. Coilovers are the best option. But your right if you only want a 1.5 inch drop there is no use.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

if this is for a daily driver spring/ strut combo is enough IMO. i seem to like my drop with the tein s-techs but makes me want a little more drop, either way its enough to make me happy. i am swapping out the struts when my stock one gives way. if your on a $200 budget then you can easily get s-techs for less than $200 got mines for $160. then if you dont mind working on your suspensions again then wait. there is also a whole section on tein s-tech in the stickies read through them and there is also another member that recently installed them dont remember exactly who but its a white EJ civic

Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

With 17s on a DX, I'd be careful how much you drop it....maybe danomatic? He's got pretty sweet ride, pretty sure its him.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 AM

Ok, theres just so much out there. i know that i want the springs and shocks, i guess now all i have to do is decide what i want. im like CanSiCoupe im a complete noob and im slowly learning. Thanx for all ur help.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 AM

Lol. I decided I am going with the shocks and springs myself. Doing that, plus swap my back drums for disk breaks and putting a skyline body kit on all at once. I tried doing up my 03 Honda Civic LX motor wise and burnt the auto tranny out. Looking for more the appearance of the car this time around. lol.