Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Squealing and Grinding...help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Default Squealing and Grinding...help!

Off and on, for the last couple of months, my 99 Civic has a travelling grinding/squealing noise that comes and goes...

I've had the alignment done, helped for about 12 hours.

CV joints look fine. The sound sometimes is on the left, sometimes on the right. It only seems to come from the front of the car. Applying the brakes will make the noise go away (at least temporarily) about 95% of the time. It happens whether or not the car is in gear, will pop up any time the car is in motion.

I don't want to get taken for a ride when i roll in to get the car fixed--i'm in a new town and don't have my old trusty mechanic to go to!

What does this sound like?

Old 10-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Default RE: Squealing and Grinding...help!

I have a 95 civic and i have the exact same problem, i am thinking it could be a falty set of pads but not sure i am going to change my fronts asap and see if the helps. but if anyone has had this problem and solved it please let us know.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:19 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Squealing and Grinding...help!

I would check the pads. Pretty easy to do. Take the wheels off. Look at the front of the caliper. There is a hole in it and you should be able to see the pads. There will be 2 distictant parts to the pad, the friction material and backing plate. If the friction material (in front of the backing plate) looks worn down you need new pads.