Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Stock Suspension question??....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Default Stock Suspension question??....

Hi, all. New to the forum here, so greetings!!

I have an '01 sedan with 76K on the clock that my wife and I just purchase a few months back. It's a great car, one my wife primarily drives, but when I take the wheel, I become annoyed with what I perceive to be an overly harsh ride. For a 4-door sedan, I would expect that the ride be more compliant when going over bumps, expansion joints, etc while driving down the road. The suspension/struts are stock, and I would expect to be the original ones that have been on the car since new. My question is, does it make sense that the car would become more harsh with age? I am considering replacing all four corners with new units, but I normally associate a worn shock with a bouncy ride, not an overly harsh one. Any thoughts? fyi. My daily driver is an '02 ZX5 focus with a much nicer ride/handling than the civic. - it's not like I drive a Cadilliac or some other cushy ride. I just expect that the Civic would be much better than it is, that's all...

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Default RE: Stock Suspension question??....

check the shocks.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:34 AM

OK....thanks for your nicely thought out response. What I am asking is if anyone here has any experience with suspension components (dampers specifically) becoming more stiff with age. I'm not sure what to expect with this Honda, and figured that this Civic form would be the "expert" resource. I thought the Suspension section of the forum would be the logical place to ask, but maybe not since most of you are trading out your stock items for aftermarket units???

Anyone else with an answer to my question??

Best regards,

Old 12-27-2005, 11:23 AM

my 01 ex coupe also has a stock setup... it only has 56k on it and when you hit a bump you know it. im not sure if its "known" for it or not. but it just gets me more enthused to get that bitch lowered with a whole new set up.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:05 PM
HCF Member

worn shocks dont always give a bouncy ride. worn shocks can be very rough. i had a crx with worn shocks and it was really bad. if you replace them with stock then they are pretty cheap. 75k seams a little early to be worn but it is very possible. the above answer was thought out just straight to the point. good luck

Old 01-02-2006, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

i think its probably just the way it is..go to a car lot and take one out for a test drive and see if there a difference