Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Default Strange Noise

Hi guys I am not sure if these problems are related to each other but I will just give you an idea of what is wrong. There is a scrunching noise coming from my left front wheel while braking. As the car slows down the scrunching does as well. Also when driving in uneven surfaces (no braking) there is a noise which sounds as though the left front wheel is falling off. Like if the nuts are loose. I have checked them all and there are still tight. My car also tends to spontaneously pull to the left and needs some extra effort to keep it straight. At high speed, the steering feels very unstable. Nobody seems to be able to figure it out. I have changed wheel bearings, front shocks,lower control arm bushings, inner and outer rod ends. Oh and before I forget, the car feels like it is drifting around the corners when turning. (Crabbing)
Car is a 1997 Civic Coupe
Hope somebody can shed some light.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Default RE: Strange Noise

Just out of curiousity I just started the engine and pressed the brake. With the brake pressed I turned the steering wheel and there is a noise and if somthing is rubbing. I released the brake and turned the wheel and the noise is gone. This was done with the car still parked.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:30 AM
HCF Member

Have you checked your pads and rotors? You might have a sticking caliper, damaged rotor, loose pad, etc. How about the CV joints?

Old 06-15-2007, 04:03 AM

I thought it was the rotors and pads so I replaced left and right rotors and pads. But it seems I wasted money because the problem is still there. My CV joints were replaced about 8 months. I am not sure if the caliper is sticking or not and I dont know how to check it. I also noticed that when slowing to a stop and on the brakes, I can feel a slight vibration through the clutch pedal while hearing the scrunching noise.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:20 AM
Administrator

make sure nothing is stuck between the pad and the rotor as well, i somehow got a peice of metal lodged there and it wasnt good, just took me pullin it out to fix tho

Old 06-15-2007, 04:08 PM

i had the problem before i changed the pads and rotors. I thought changing them would do the trick but it didnt. Is there something called a link that may need changing?

Old 06-27-2007, 03:29 PM

The noise is coming from the caliper when i brake. The caliper seems to be vibrating as the wheels turn. The disk and pads are relaively new and i recently changed them. Someone suggested that the wheel bearings are shot and causing the wheel to wobble . Thay suggested that this may also be the culprit to my steering issues. What do you guys think. And what other damage could have been done by driving it this way for so long.