Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Suspension Basics

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Default Suspension Basics

Hi all,

I've never messed around with suspension systems on cars and wanted to ask a real noob question.

I have a 90 Civic DX hatch and from what I understand, all four wheels are supported by a spring and a strut. I learned today that the difference between a strut and a shock is that a strut is actually an integral part of the suspension system whereas with a shock, you might actually be able to remove it from the vehicle and still drive it. I'm sure it would be pretty bouncy though.

So my car has 200K miles on it and the suspension parts have never been replaced. It feels kind of "floaty" and feels like it just about bottoms out on big bumps. I'm pretty sure it didn't drive like that when I bought it in 1991.

When a cars suspension starts getting yucky, what's going on with the parts? Are the struts no longer working like they used to? Are the springs no longer as springy as they used to be? If I wanted to get my car back to having a nice feeling ride, would it mean replacing the struts AND the springs? Or is it something where you can just replace the struts? I was wondering if the springs wear out too.

I'm not really looking to lower the car, but I do want a comfortable, decent handling car for everyday driving.

Thanks!

Curtis

Old 05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Suspension Basics

well if your car still has the original struts and shocks then yes it most likely be worn out and need replacing or if you go on bumps and your car is "bouncy" after you pass the bump. from my understanding springs will crack over time weight of carand stress and shocks will blow, there like compressed with fluid and sometimes will "blow" and the gas or fluid will come out and no good. as far as new suspension goes some aftermarket will lower your car and will be also comfortable and handle nicely. i might sound confusing but sorry for that hope this helps! good luck!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

just take it to your local kragen or autozone, ask for new shocks and springs....they might even do it there for you if they have a shop or you could try to do it yourself, and with 200k under you belt its prolly time for some new ones lol

Old 05-15-2008, 05:06 AM

Thanks for the replies!

It sort of makes sense to change the springs at the same time. Especially if the springs are fatigued from 200K miles. It would be pretty lame to have a spring break and then blow a brand new strut.

I went to a local autoparts store and got a quote on the struts (Monroes) and they were just as expensive if not more so than some of the deals I've seen on the struts mentioned in other places on the forum (like the Tokicos or KYBs for example.)

If I go for some springs that have minimal drop (like about an inch), that would be okay with me. If there is a marked improvement in handling I think it might be more fun to drive the car.

One thing I was wondering about, though, will stock wheels and tires still have enough clearance with a 1"-1.5" drop? I've got 175-13s on the original steel wheels.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:00 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: spacetoast

One thing I was wondering about, though, will stock wheels and tires still have enough clearance with a 1"-1.5" drop? I've got 175-13s on the original steel wheels.

Yes

Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: mxs

ORIGINAL: spacetoast

Yes
Awesome possum, thanks!