Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Suspension setup for 97 DX

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 PM
HCF Member
Default Suspension setup for 97 DX

Alright, so I've got the new rims and tires on the girlfriend's car. It's sitting a little too high for my tastes, so I'd like to hop on getting the suspension work done. It's got about a 2 inch gap between the top of the tire and the top of the fender well, so it needs to come down a ways. I realize that the OEM mudflaps sit about 4" off the ground now and could bring the car down some. I don't want to put them really close to the ground and run the risk of tearing them off, but I know since they're straight behind the rims that any snow will most likely get pushed out of the way before it hits the mudflaps. I'm thinking at this time I'd like to go down like 2" instead of the original 1".

I'd like to retain much of the stock ride quality, but will deal with some more stiffness as long as it's not bouncy. The car is a daily driver through the summer and winter, and is driven mostly by the girlfriend. The bouncy-ness is what I want to stay away from. I know that generally a car will be bouncy because the struts are not able to handle the springs or coilovers that have been put on the car. Generally this comes with lowering the car a lot with crap struts. I dealt with bouncy on my Accord with the Drop Zone coil-over kit and it sucked. Also, I know that generally lowering springs will ride nicer than what a coil-over kit will, which is why I'm wanting to go with springs. I would like a coil-over kit for it's ability to be adjustable, but a quality one is fairly pricey, and I'm hoping that I can just find a set of springs and struts that will suit me.

With those thoughts in mind, anything you guys can recommend?

Old 04-11-2009, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

if you drive the car in the snow, i highly recommend you get coilovers.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 AM
HCF Member

I'm thinking now that I may want to go coilovers instead of just springs now so that I can lower the car as much as needed during the summer and raise it as much as needed for the winter. I'm thinking that during the summer I'd like the car to be lowered 2.5" or so and during the winter have it sit high so that I won't have any issues with snow or the front lip plowing into snow. If I go this route I'd like to probably use the Ground Control coilovers which can be had for like 300 shipped. I hear tons of good things about them. I would then like to pair them with the Koni Yellows, especially since I'm going down 2" or more and want something that can take the abuse. I know that anything that even remotely resembles OEM ride quality won't be able to handle a 2" or further drop and won't be able to keep up with coilovers. Also, I kind of like being able to set the car where I want it to be instead of just getting springs and hoping they'll put me in the right spot. Ground Controls and Koni Yellows is all I hear for a daily driver and they're supposed to be amazing quality.

So, Ground Control and Koni Yellows for this daily driver?