Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Switching My Setup...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Default Switching My Setup...

I just ordered Tokico Shocks/struts and Tein H-tech springs from procivic.com. My car (99 Civic EX) currently has a Skunk-2 Coilover Setup with KYB shocks/struts. This set up has been on there since 2000 and the shocks are blown, which is why I chose to order the Tokico w/ Tein setup since it is a more suttle drop and I am badly in need of new shocks (I don't desire such an aggresive drop andwant ride comfort as it's my daily driver).

My question is: will I need to order anything from OEM, such as new bump stops, to convert my setup back to simple shocks and springs from a coilover set up? I know that my original bump stops were cut aggressively for the coilovers, but I was told that the new shocks will come with new bump stomps. I wasn’t sure if this was the case and also was concerned if there was anything else I may need to resource for this set up.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Default RE: Switching My Setup...

My research shows that I'll prolly need to purchase new bumpstops and dust covers since the bumpstops were cut real low for the coilovers and the dust covers were discarded as they can't be used for coilovers (at least for the skunk 2's).

Please..... If anyone has delt with this or has any thoughts that may help - feel free to share. I found out that KYB now offers dust covers with built-in bumpstops for pretty cheap: $14 that some guys on the nissan forums have used. Not sure if I'm going to go with this or the OEMs. As with my old coilover set-up I have seen what happens without dust covers, basically the shock wears down (then leaks grease, which gets really dirty, all over your componants) faster than with.

Thanks again for any tips...