Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

tower bar imporve handling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 AM
HCF Member
Default tower bar imporve handling?

does a tower bar inprove handling? the one that goes above the engine. and also...i've been told to lower your car the worst thing to get are coilovers. i believe that. it's way better to get lowering springs. true?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:10 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: tower bar imporve handling?

The worst thing to lower your car with is CHEAP ANYTHING.
There is nothing inherently wrong with coilovers.
There IS something wrong with $20 ebay springs.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM

yes strut bars help improve handling, not very much but it helps. like mxs said, cheap coilovers are horrible, but a nice set like Ground Control orSkunk2 will be best. most lowering springs offer a comfy ride, but not much for handling. the great thing about coilovers such as Ground Control is that u can customize spring rates and also adjust height easily. with lowering springs like Tien STechs, u get a set spring rate and u cannot adjust the height so if u dont like the ride height, theres nothing u can do but buy a new suspension..

Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito.... you get what you pay for!

Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

lol yeah i know that. my friend with a stang got the "tien" ones and it looked axactly the same...i bet it was spray painted. but the tower bar then, it does do something nice with handling right?

Old 08-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i THINK it made a difference

its gotta help some..... just helps from flexing so its alittle stiffer.... but for the price..... just buy one and try it

Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: point break 92

does a tower bar inprove handling? the one that goes above the engine. and also...i've been told to lower your car the worst thing to get are coilovers. i believe that. it's way better to get lowering springs. true?
Strut tower/tie bars can improve handling. They stiffen up the chassis so that the flexing is done by the suspension instead of the body. This makes handling more predictable and improves the longevity of the unibody. The more flex they take out of the chassis the more of a difference you'll feel. They also don't make the ride overly stiff like many other suspension mods.

Beefy adjustable anti-swaybars, a front strut-tower brace that also bolts to the firewall, lower H-braces,adjustable shocks,grippy 205/45-16s, and poly bushingscan make your Civic a screamer around curves...while still offering a ride you don't mind daily-driving with.

If you want to lower it, quality adjustable coilovers are the way to go. You can lower the car for better COG autocrossing, or raise it to near-stock for clearance on snowy streets. Just do your research before buying any springs, shocks, or coilovers. They are made for different purposes and different levels of quality. Thelowest/costliest/stiffest isn't necessarily the best for your application, but don't expect $20 springs to be quality items.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

only problem i have with coilovers is the alignment.... your always gonna be messing with your camber with adjusting it......
so ur tires probably wont last as long.......

but they would be nice for winter driving..... hopefully i wont have any problems during the winter with my drop springs...LOL time will tell.... ill just be sure to carry a ****** strap and a shovel like i do every winter and HOPE FOR THE BEST.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

lol kommando and addiction2bass, thanks alot guys. i think i'll pass on the coilovers, and just get $300 springs, it'll take me a month or so. better though. and hell yeah i'm going for all the bars you mentioned. as of now i only have the tower bar that mounts on top of the engine, were the bolts arefor the shock. when it comes in i'll try it on. if it rocks,well you know. thanks dudes, oh miami...no snow..ever, or cold.