Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

warped discs

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:19 AM
HCF Member
Default warped discs

I just got back from a 3 week vacation and when i drove my car, there was break juddering and a grinding type noise. I think that its probably a warped disc, because the pads arnt that old. but what are some causes of warped discs?

about 3 months ago, the front passenger side was on a scissor jack that fell over and it landed on the front wheel assembly, but my mechanic said it looked fine.

Also, for like 6 months i have heard a chirping noise from the front passenger wheel area when i make hard right turns, and i cannot figure out what it is.

could one of these things be the cause? any common things that cause warped discs?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 AM

what was the weather like when you were on vacation? if the weather went from cool to warm alot and with out driving it it could do that...but that chirpin noise could be your left tie rod...

Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by meancee
i don't know much bout that thing!....sorry!...
Well then don't make pointless posts to up your post count? kthxbye.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Cereal Admin

If it's a warped rotor, you won't feel it unless you apply the brakes. Also, you can't tell if a rotor is warped or not just by looking at it (unless your eyes are good enough to notice runout in thousands of an inch). My front right rotor had .013" runout before I machined it, and it literally felt like the car was shaking itself apart when I applied the brakes.

Anyway, warped rotors can be caused by hard stops (heating up the brakes too much), aggressive driving (also heating up the brakes), and uneven lug nut torque, just to name a few of the more common causes.

For the noise, is the dust shield behind the rotor good? Is there anything trapped between the rotor and the dust shield? It's hard to diagnose suspension noises without actually hearing them, but it could be a tie rod (though they usually make more of a popping sound) or a wheel bearing, among other things.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 AM
HCF Member

I agree. It may be a damaged wheel bearing. Years ago, I slid down an embankment while driving on an ice-covered highway. The left front wheel bearing was damaged (made a very irritating noise at all times) and had to be replaced.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito. also check the brake dust shield. i bent mine alittle with the jack afew times and it just screams grinding noises. freaked me out really bad the first time!!!!!!!

just check out your tie rods and bushings and wheel bearing.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

when I brake, it does not make the whole car shake as some people described as juddering, I just feel a small bumps or pops as im breaking. Prolly not the brake disc right?

I do hear something similar to a popping noise when i make the hard right turns along with the chirp, and I have also had increased drifting and ****tier handling the last few months, I thought it was my tires, but a bad tie rod joint would prolly cause drifting too right?

Is the joint something i could just tighten to fix the problem, or will I need to get the tie rod end replaced?

if so, is it easy to do yourself?
also, is there a way to tell if it is the inner or outer tie?

*the rear rotor catches in one spot when i spin it, It is pretty rusty, im guessing this is the cause of the grinding noise.*

Last edited by MaximusFunk; 06-11-2009 at 05:17 PM.