Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

WTH Brake pads to thick?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:47 PM
HCF Member
Default WTH Brake pads to thick?!!?

I havent been able to change my dang brake pads since i bought ym car cause the dang caliper never lines up cause the pads are to think. i saw MXS' old post about the same problem btu didnt see how she really fixed it and also mine are off by a good 1/8-1/4". The whole brake system is stock, why the hell dont the pads work. and it just sint this set of pads cause its done it with 4 different kinds.

Piston is compressed all the way

Pads are firmly mated with the rotor

and the caliper still doesnt slide down!

Old 05-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: WTH Brake pads to thick?!!?

loooks like your calipers just arent going down into the grove that holds em.... just pull the calipers off the rotors again and with a steel wire brush clean the botom and top of the calipers metal angled spots and the same on the caliper bracket! then once ya got em shiny and rust free then spray alittle oil or grease on those top/bottom metal parts.... then just work the caliper back on...

and also you cannt just slide one side inplace.... both sides have to be put in at the same time evenly or it will bind and not go into the grove.....

it is preaty tight.... and alittle rust is all it takes to realy **** ya off. LOL
but if it was loose youd have movement in your caliper and that would be extra wear on your brake system...

Old 05-05-2007, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

and also you cannt just slide one side inplace.... both sides have to be put in at the same time evenly or it will bind and not go into the grove.....
What do you mean by this? one side of what?

Old 05-05-2007, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

I know that on new brake pads they have spaces on them, i had to remove the spacer to make them fit on my car.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:57 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

I know that on new brake pads they have spaces on them, i had to remove the spacer to make them fit on my car.
you mean the shims?

Old 05-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

what im meaning is when you pull off the calipers you can see where the calipers have been touchen so the caliper goes right between the two spots on the caliper bracket... sorry i dont have any pics to show ya... but if ya take a quick snap shot of your brackets while the caliper is off and i can trace out the spots for ya.

and never heard of any spacers before...
but i havent changed the brakes on my civic yet... mine look good BUT the do squik when i lightly push on the brake... not sure if its the pads or its the cheap drilled rotors... i figure ill swap em both out someday when i got enough cash!

sorry best picture i can edit.LOL

Old 05-05-2007, 03:07 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ryank327

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

you mean the shims?
Yeah, they are only about 2-3mm thick but they were all that it needed to not allow the caliper on

Old 05-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i dont see what ya mean by shims?
where are they? on the pads themselves? ive changed quite a few brakes and never had to mess with any type of shims!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

yea they are on the pads, They suualyl have the companies namke or logo on them. I took mine off and it gave me about 2mm of paly. then i grinded the rust off all the key spots and im still an 1/8" off. I have to be missing something. or is this just a design flaw or what? Even if I take the inside pad off it still doesnt work. It all has to do with the clearance of the outer pad and the lower caliper bolt. the caliper doesnt slide down over the caliper bracket.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

you dont have them backwards do you?

Quick Reply: WTH Brake pads to thick?!!?