Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

WTH Brake pads to thick?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: WTH Brake pads to thick?!!?

pull both the pads and try to put the caliper back on....
your probably just not puting it on properly....

try puting the calipers botom in first... then try to slide the top over... if that dont work try it both at the same time... or vis versa....

brakes can be tight.... but if your talking about the logo like in my picture from the side.... that wouldnt keep the caliper from bolting to the caliper bracket... it looks like you have the pads both onto the rotor itself fine....

just looks as your not geting the bracket and caliper lined up right...

Old 05-05-2007, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

The top bolt on the caliper doesnt come out or at least I dont know how to take it out. It just turns. The pads arent backwards. The top part of the caliper with the little boot goes in and out to line up, shouldnt the bottom one do the same? Like in my last pic shouldnt. Ive had this problem like a month ago to when I tried changing my pads and could only get the inner pad on, this problem haunts me and Im about to buy a whole new brake setup next paycheck.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i still think your just not puting the caliper on right.... has nothing to do with the brake pads...... pull the caliper off the rotor and start off with puting the lower portion of the caliper on first........ ya see the bent steel in your last picture in the 1st post.... i blieve your caliper should be touching that!

as you can see on the caliper itself its but at a downward angle so thiers no way the caliper will go all the way in cause of the angles....

put the lower part in first WITHOUT puting any bolts in and then try sliding the top portion of the caliper into the rotor. it should go right in if youve cleaned the rust out already!

Old 05-05-2007, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

Im sorry but it has absolutely nothing to do with that. See where the lower bolt for the caliper is, that hole does not line up because the caliper doenst slide back enough. If I take the outer pad off or put the old pad on it the caliper slides down just fine

Video

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t=S5031226.flv

Old 05-05-2007, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

you have a rubber mallet? Do what i did. Give it a big 'ol wack and you will be fine

Old 05-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok well im saying... remove that upper bolt and slide the caliper onto the rotor evenly... tho for the pads.... is thier no type of clips on them? all the pads ive changed have had clips on them for the outside and another inside clip that goes into the cylinder and holds it inplace....

ive always put the pads onto the calipers first and then slide the calipers W/pads instaled onto the rotors.....

and another thing.... thats not the area i was talking about cleaning the rust off which could still be the problem BUT ya hve to take off the caliper to clean the 2spots off right.... see the bolts hold the caliper and also allow them to slide left to right... but the caliper BRACKETS on the car SHOULD sandwich the caliper... they are usualy preaty tight tollerances because your brakes need to be firmly in place.... and should also have alittle lube on the metal to metal spots to ensure it slides along the top and botom slides... not the bolts slides.....

sorry kinda confusing to type... i swear if i was thier it would be a snap! LOL

Old 05-05-2007, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

I knwo thats why i did a video casue typing it out is tough. and I knwo what you mean about the pads going into the calipers then sliding on cause thats how it is on domestics Ive worked on but on civics they clip onto the rotr then the caliper slides over them. Ive tried the mallet trust me but an 1/8" isnt gonna pound in. I cant get the top bolt off the caliper to slide it on evenly cause the top bolt connecting it to the bracket just spins when you try to take it off and I really have no idea how to get it out. If the outer pad was an 1/8" thinner it would work perfectly[:@]

Old 05-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

the top bolt is probably seized on the steel slide shaft...
tuff to say how to seperate it........ some penatrating oil and some man handling... or some vis grips on the head of the bolt and with a hammer try to hit the visgrips which will hopefully pull the shaft/bolt loose and come out.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:48 PM
HCF Member

IM pretty sure I need new calipers. The top bolt moves in and out to accomodate the wear for the outer pad so the bottom one should to. Im gonna try the other side and if I can get the pads on the drivers side then i need a new caliper.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i dont think ya need a new caliper... its just the bolt and slide shaft thats froze up keeping ya from removing the whole thing.... the steel shaft should be right under that rubber layer you can try to move the rubber enough to get some small vis grips on the steel shaft and with a wrench at the same time turning the bolts head HOPEFULLY it will break the 2 loose and the bolt should slide out properly...
guess ya could always just buy a new slide piece and a new bolt and just hack saw that bolt in two to remove it...

Quick Reply: WTH Brake pads to thick?!!?