Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

5 speed tranny swap no bottom gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Default 5 speed tranny swap no bottom gears

I just replaced the transmission,flywheel,clutch,pilot,and throwout bearings on my 97 Honda Civic LX.When I finished the car will not go in to 2nd,4th,or reverse.1st,3rd &5th gears work fine but it seems that there is something preventing the shifter from going in to all the bottom gears.The Slave cylinder seems to be working fine and I think I bled all the air out of the system but the clutch still feels a little soft.I think it might be a linkage problem.Any Suggestions? Please Help.I hope I dont have to pull the tranny again.It took me two full days and really kicked my a**.I beat the crap out of my hands getting the spring pin out of the shift linkage. ********Update ** I crawled back under the car and removed the spring pin and shift linkage to rule out a bad transmission.The transmission shifted perfectly with the linkage removed.I was very happy the transmission was not bad at all,but why would it not work when the linkage was attached?After some prodding I felt metal in the transmission shift boot.The wrecking yard that removed my transmission left the metal C-ring that covers the spring pin that attaches the linkage and itwas preventing the transmission from engaging in 2nd,4th,& Reverse.The car runs and shifts perfectly now and the new clutch works as if the car just rolled off the lot.Needless to say I am very happy and now can finally start the healing process (my body aches everywhere). I just wanted to share so that if you plan on doing a tranny swap and youget one from a wrecking yard be on the lookout for that Clip in the transmission boot so you dont have the same problem.