Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

90 Civic DX trans question (noob) Help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Default 90 Civic DX trans question (noob) Help, please!

Hello,

1990 Honda Civic DX (1.5L 4-speed auto, made in Canada) -- 265k miles

**sorry such a long explanation**

Just had the trans replaced with a used JDM. As I understand it, I went from a 4-speed to a 4-speed + Overdrive (5th gear). My question concerns the slamming (tight?) shifts, both up and down. This is making me crazy, since my former trans (prior to its demise) would shift very smoothly.

From 1st to 2nd, there is a big lurch. From 2nd to 3rd, same but not as much. 3rd to 4th, hard shift...4th to 5th takes FOREVER, revving to 55 or 60mph before shifting, unless I play footsy with the accelerator. Even so, it never upshifts to 5th before 45mph.

While slowing to a stop, there is another slamming downshift from 2nd into 1st, but only when coming to a stop. For some reason, if I am turning a corner, it doesn't downshift (hence, no slamming). There is no grinding, just very hard shifting that is impossible to live with. I paid $380 for the trans (mechanic bought it on eBay), plus installation from a Honda/Acura mechanic. I'm not sure if the tranny is hydraulic or cable, nor if it can be adjusted, via the cable or via the gear ratios.

Now, I must admit, the acceleration difference is dramatic. The older 4-speed AT was a bit slow. For me, that's fine (sorry to say), because the shifts were silky smooth (until the reason for replacing the trans was due to severe leakage the mechanic never noticed). After the leakage (and subsequent seal replacement), the grinding was horrendous until I began manually shifting from 1st through 4th. To give you some idea of the mph, the former trans shifted to 2nd at 25mph, into 3rd at 35mph and 4th any time after that, even right away (no tach). I downshifted only when coming to a stop (at 5mph or less), to 1st gear, just to avoid the screeching whine.

Just to make sure I am not leaving anything out, I had 1 motor mount and trans mount replaced. Replaced spark plugs (NGK platinums), new Honda wires..AND a brand new (via excellent parts discount Honda dealer in Virginia) Matsu****a A/C compressor, condensor, clutch and dryer ($500 for the entire A/C assembly). The A/C works nicely, but the blower could be stronger.

If you can help advise me on how to resolve the hard shifting, I'd be grateful! In addition, I will post on another section the problem with gas mileage I now have, with the new tranny and A/C unit (went from solid 36mpg combined city/highway down to 20mpg! ). I always use Chevron Supreme -- you might say it's stupid, but only 10 cents more per gallon ($2.99 v. $2.89 for regular -- only 3.5% more $$ ), but I got 36mpg v. 28mpg with regular (28% better mileage).

Thanks for all your help! I have researched all posts back to Feb, 2005. Although I found a few posts slightly similar, none had the solution I need.

-=K=-

Old 06-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Default RE: 90 Civic DX trans question (noob) Help, please!

dude just get a damn standard

Old 06-06-2006, 08:42 AM

I thought on this forum I would get an intelligent reply. I'm not a noob to cars, just to the forum. The issue with my auto trans is very hard shifting and I need to know if there is any way to have it adjusted. It is a JDM replacement, and I was told it has O/D as well. It revs much higher in between shifts than the old one it replaced, and it occurred to me there might be some resolution you might suggest. It could be trans related, or perhaps fuel or filters.

I do appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Thanks.

-=K=-

Old 06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

There is a solenoid in the transmission that controls the shift quality and this solenoid is controlled by the transmission computer. I guess if you could find some way to flash the tran computer you could fix the shift quality and shift points. And if you have shift flares (the engine revs between shifts) then there is something wrong with either the computer/solenoid or the valve body b/c your car is going into the neutral in between shifts b/c the trans is not shifting fast enough. The trans is suppose to release one clutch while engaging another, but if there is a point where both clutches are released, you will be holding 2 elements giving you neutral.