Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Clutch Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Default Clutch Install

So im in the middle of pulling my transmission, to replace my clutch. This is the first time that i have ever done this, and yes i have read up on it. I know i should have bought a manual but im low on money. I was wondering if someone could please tell me what the linkage? is that is next to the shift linkage. Also how is it removed. Thanks for the help sorry i am a noob

It's a 1991 Hatchback Dx

Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Default RE: Clutch Install

well theres 2 parts to it if its a rod type.

there's an immovable rod that has a 10mm bolt onthe trans casing and theres one that moves (which selects the gears) it has a pin that you have to use a punch and a hammer to push it out. then they will come right off. on the second rod there might be a metal retainer clip and a little rubber boot on there that comes off easily

Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Allright thanks man... Im going to go out in a little bit and check it out. Also has anyone used the Exedy Oem replacment clutch? I think thats what im going with since it's pretty cheap on ebay.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 AM

a friend of mine has one in his car.. ive driven his car... it drives fine and isnt hard to drive. i've also driven the stage 2 from exedy and i loved that clutch personally. i've also drivin an ACT 6 puck solid with an extreme Press. plate and liked that also..

Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

exedy oem clutch works great for me in my 94 civic. tho cant help ya with the 91civic never done one before...
BUT remeber its not to late to go buy a manual for the car if you like doing any work its well worth the money for the book!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:17 AM

manual=$20, you bought the car, its worth every cent to put it together correctly. I've gone without a manual with bad results!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 AM

http://i29.tinypic.com/2mer81l.jpg
this is the part i am talking about i havnt gotten around to working on my car in a few days but i tried drtiving the side pin out and it didnt budge..

Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

FIRST its easier to pop the tranny in 3rd gear... makes it pull that linkage out from the tranny which makes it easier to hammer the pin IN and OUT...

SECOND did you remove the little C clip that goes around that pin?

do you have any steel punches? you need a steel punch just about the side of the pin but not to large that it wont go thru the hole thru the shifter rod...
just use a punch and a hammer to bang it thru!

i did this just awhile ago cause the previous owner aparently didnt know how to pop that pin out and he cut those rivits which over time made it EXTREMLY loose which trashed it....
ya these 2 pieces SHOULD NOT COME APART. freaking 60bucks for a good used rod.

a steel punch should pop it right out with a few swings..... and when REINSTALING IT its easier to use a smaller punch that fits INSIDE that small pin and then just line up the pin and hammer it back in... makes it ALOT EASIER!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 PM

so i still havnt had much time to get around to working on my car except for tonight... well the passenger side axle came out very smoothly but when it comes to the driver side it seems its stuck after about two hours i got it to budge about and inch... and tips on how to remove this sucker?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

just keep working at it.....

push pull pry and if the axle pops and then you can beat the hell outta it.LOL

when i pulled my 94motor/tranny out BOTH axles acted like they where welded solid.... i messed around with them ALOT and FINALY one poped out.... and about 1/2 hour later working the other axle it finaly poped out.

the first time i pulled them out they were HUGE PITA to pop out.... but ive had them pulled out once already and this time they poped right out no big deal...