Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

manual gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Default RE: manual gear oil

NO!

No! No! No! No! No! No!

Use trans fluid in your trans! Jeebus!

Don't cry to me when your trans blows in a few months! Yikes!

I'm using Mobil 1 ATF in my manual trasmitsu... And the same's going in my Civic!Never ever put motor oil in your trans!

EDIT: Hmm.. Let me put it this way..

Motor oil is designed to suspend particulate within the oil so that the particulate can be filtered out by the oil filter (hence why it makes sense to have a good, multi-filtration oil fliter).

Trasmission fluid is designed to wash out and drop particulate (in this case, metal shavings and dust from the gears and synchros) into the bottom of the transmission, so that clean fluid is scraped off the top by the transmission gears.

If you suspend particulates in your trans (metal shavings and metal dust, remember), you turn your trans into a giant metal grinder.. WILL IT BLEND? You betcha.

Oh, and as far as synthetic trans fluid is concerned: yes, use it. It'll reduce the drag on your transmission components and you still get the gear climbing effect, so things stay slippery. Synthetic gear oil FTW.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Cat Fuсker

first of all have you ever READ your owners manual for your M/T civic? I bet you didn't. Sir, are you an engineer or are you speaking out of your ***? I'm more than willing to bet that it is the second of the two. How come my 200K mile transmission had only the usual ware on it when I know for sure it has only used 10W-30 motor oil? Care to explain? Or can you explain the fact that honda owner's manual says it's ok to ue motor oil if it is going to do such great harm? Have you EVER seen a transmission taken apart to know how it is oiled? If not I suggest that you look it up before you open your mouth again.

Edit: go ahead and put gear oil in your honda MT. I'll laugh at you next winter.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

So I should change out the Royal Purple? Thanks Roto.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:39 PM
HCF Member

they make transmission fluid for a reason, if they wanted u to use motor oil, they would label it motor and transmission oil, not saying it cant be used as an alternative, but its always better to use the original product

Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Cat Fuсker

ATF stands for automatic transmission fluid. Honda MT fluid for civics is dyno oil with some additives. You will only be in trouble if you run motor oil in an AT. However different types of differentials can mandate use of different oil.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: dragoth

NO!

No! No! No! No! No! No!

Use trans fluid in your trans! Jeebus!

Don't cry to me when your trans blows in a few months! Yikes!

I'm using Mobil 1 ATF in my manual trasmitsu... And the same's going in my Civic!Never ever put motor oil in your trans!

EDIT: Hmm.. Let me put it this way..

Motor oil is designed to suspend particulate within the oil so that the particulate can be filtered out by the oil filter (hence why it makes sense to have a good, multi-filtration oil fliter).

Trasmission fluid is designed to wash out and drop particulate (in this case, metal shavings and dust from the gears and synchros) into the bottom of the transmission, so that clean fluid is scraped off the top by the transmission gears.

If you suspend particulates in your trans (metal shavings and metal dust, remember), you turn your trans into a giant metal grinder.. WILL IT BLEND? You betcha.

Oh, and as far as synthetic trans fluid is concerned: yes, use it. It'll reduce the drag on your transmission components and you still get the gear climbing effect, so things stay slippery. Synthetic gear oil FTW.
you are retarded. you do not use ATF in a manual trans. you use motor oil, or manaul trans fluid like honda genuine or gm synchromesh. and synthetic is not really a big deal. i go along with roto on this that its not as good and regualr oil.