Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

A nonspecific question regarding tranny swap.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Default A nonspecific question regarding tranny swap.

Hello friends.
I have become a pretty avid Honda enthusiast and have been absorbing as much as I can about cars/engines since I got my Civic back in April. I have done a few very simple jobs myself. I put in my own speakers/stereo (which I found to be a jokingly easy install), put in a short ram intake (also very easy even without too much research), installed new headlights and taillights, and painted my valve cover. I know those are pretty small jobs, and I am interested in gaining more skill on working on my own car.

It may sound like a huge step up, but my goal right now is to continue reading like a madman on Manual transmissions (particularly how to swap from auto) and then find somebody that has decent knowledge on them to help me do a self install conversion from auto to manual

My general question is if you guys think it's a bad idea to even attempt this...

Also, I found a guy selling a manual tranny that has 120k miles on it, with a new oem clutch and a starter. He is asking 200 for all.
Assuming the transmission is in good working condition, how much longer (rough estimate?) does an average tranny last? I'm hoping if I buy this it won't crap out too soon on me.

I know that a manual car is right for me, I have read many of the auto vs manual comparisons across the net. There are a few main reasons I feel the swap is the proper thing to do in my situation.

A) My long term goal (2-5 yrs) is to have a turbocharger installed, and I see no point to tricking out an auto engine since manuals are considerably faster.
B) Buying a new car doesn't seem practical to me since I have done a considerable deal of electrical/audio/exterior work on the car and have become quite attached to it. (also it is rare to find a 96 ex with only 70k miles and this good of condition all around)
C) I feel like I am ready to try a more challenging install.

Just let me know what you guys think
I know this thread is just kinda stream of consciousness open question kinda thing, so I hope you don't mind.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:35 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: A nonspecific question regarding tranny swap.

My tranny has over 160k with no troubles so far... manual is the way to go.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: A nonspecific question regarding tranny swap.

Well, 200 is a lot for a 100k+ trans, no matter which trans it is. I'd say 150 MAX, but it does come with the starter and clutch.

This is a very do-able conversion.

Here is some info what what trannys to look for:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_413787/tm.htm

Here's an overview of the auto-to-manual conversion:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_295187/tm.htm