Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Replace, Rebuild or Ignore?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
HCF Member
Default Replace, Rebuild or Ignore?

I have a '98 Civic DX and I've had it for about a year. Ever since I got it, the transmission slips going from 2nd to 3rd (about an increase of 500RPM). However, if I ease of the gas right before it makes that shift, it won't slip. Also, if I stomp on the gas it won't slip. But once its in 3rd, whenever I give it gas, I can hear a loud crackling/whirring/leaky type of sound that goes away when I take my foot off the gas. This sound has gotten louder and now when I move the gear shift (going from P to RD2 or back to any gear) I hear this slight clunk/screech sound when the transmission engages. The fluid seems fine, doesn't smell burned, the check engine light isn't on and the D4 light isn't flashing. What should I do?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Chubby Chaser

i'd say look to buy a new trans, also have you inspected your cv axles and trans mounts

Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
i'd say look to buy a new trans, also have you inspected your cv axles and trans mounts
No I haven't inspected those but I do hear a clunk sometimes when I straighten my wheels, could that be a cv joint/axle? The slipping is the transmission though right?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:55 AM

yes, the slipping is your tranny on its way out. Any D series auto will work, pretty much from 88-00. Do your CV axles click as you turn the wheel left and right?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
Any D series auto will work, pretty much from 88-00.
the cv axles are different that go into trans, just look for any 96-00 civic d16y7 or d16y8 that has a auto trans it will fit perfectly,

Old 10-31-2009, 07:15 AM
HCF Member

yes, the slipping is your tranny on its way out. Any D series auto will work, pretty much from 88-00. Do your CV axles click as you turn the wheel left and right?
I only hear a click when I turn the wheels back to center. Say i'm parallel parking, when I cut the front end into the spot and then turn the wheels straight, theres a click and I can feel a pop/clunk in the steering wheel when it clicks. Is it a good idea to rebuild instead of replacing the transmission?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 AM

Hm. That makes me wonder if the steering rack is a problem. Usually, if CV axles are going out, they click and pop like crazy as you turn. If you actually FEEL the popping in the wheel... you may have another problem. I'd like a second opinion on that one though.

Rebuilding is a horribly time consuming process. If you don't have a copy of the service manual for your civic yet, i recommend you go to www.hondatech.info right now and download it for free. I believe there are some transmission rebuild instructions in there. It's a huge process and there are a million parts. Swapping out with another used one is cheaper and easier on both you and your wallet.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
HCF Member

Hm. That makes me wonder if the steering rack is a problem. Usually, if CV axles are going out, they click and pop like crazy as you turn. If you actually FEEL the popping in the wheel... you may have another problem. I'd like a second opinion on that one though.

Rebuilding is a horribly time consuming process. If you don't have a copy of the service manual for your civic yet, i recommend you go to www.hondatech.info right now and download it for free. I believe there are some transmission rebuild instructions in there. It's a huge process and there are a million parts. Swapping out with another used one is cheaper and easier on both you and your wallet.
If I swap it out with a used one, how would I know if the used transmission is any good? Isn't there a chance I will just have to swap/rebuild that one sometime in the future?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

I still haven't gotten around to getting my transmission looked at, but I have a couple of questions.

1.) Could the problem be the torque converter and not the transmission? I've noticed when the TC locks in around 55MPH the crackling noise becomes louder.

2.) What about getting a remanufactured transmission from Advance Auto Parts (or another similar parts store?) AAP offers a 36 month/75,000 mile warranty against defects on their transmissions. Also they will pay for a part if it breaks and up to $350 in labor.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Chubby Chaser

they only way to know for sure is to drop the trans and inspect it,
how much do they want for the trans ? we might be able to find you a better deal.

Quick Reply: Replace, Rebuild or Ignore?