Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

So tell me about Phantom Grip

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Default So tell me about Phantom Grip

Hi.

I'm going to be doing a ZC swap into a 91 hatch shortly, and I wanted to do the limited-slip while everything was already out of the car. I've already searched for 'phantom grip' here, and no posts came up. So, opinions?

LSD is better than no LSD...even when it comes to cars, apparently .

I've heard of people chewing up a tranny with these, but it doesn't seem common and there's always installation error to think of, which hardly anyone fesses up to, especially when they just paid for a tow off of the interstate.

Well?

Old 02-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: So tell me about Phantom Grip

From what I heard an OBX LSD is a good one. I was going to go with one, but sold my car before I did, so now my buddy who's got the car is getting it. The phantom-grip thing...I've heard a few bad things from the 240sx people I know about that diff...

Old 02-11-2006, 12:37 AM

OBX=crap phantom=major crap
don't buy these things. i have posted asking many questions about these lsd and ive done alot of research and from what i found is that the top name brands quaife...ect are all 900 and up. why? because they work!!!!!! to buy a phantom or obx for i fourth of that is because they don't work. but ive never owned any of these but i talked to alot of people that did own them and they said not to go cheap. just look around. im going with a quaife. u also have kazz and a few others that i cant remember cause its 12:30 in the morning and i tierd but its your money and car. just thought i would spread the word cause ive been looking for the last three months. later

Old 02-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: boosted_honda

OBX=crap phantom=major crap
don't buy these things. i have posted asking many questions about these lsd and ive done alot of research and from what i found is that the top name brands queife...ect are all 900 and up. why? because they work!!!!!! to buy a phantom or obx for i fourth of that is because they don't work. but ive never owned any of these but i talked to alot of people that did own them and they said not to go cheap. just look around. im going with a queife. u also have kazz and a few others that i cant remember cause its 12:30 in the morning and i tierd but its your money and car. just thought i would spread the word cause ive been looking for the last three months. later

research OBX diffs a little better. They are about the only product that is worth buying from the obx...not to mention that they're a direct knock-off of qualife:-D People have had some problems with them, but from what I can tell it was own stupidity that caused problems...

Old 02-11-2006, 11:26 AM

maybe its just better crap

Old 02-11-2006, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

the deal with phantom grip is it applies pressure to the 2 side gears which gives you the lsd affect. problem there is the PG wears into the side gears and eventually tears them up depending on driving. it is highly stated by many in the honda world to not use there products. another option for you is the DOHC zc transmission also comes with the option of lsd. you may want too look into this as the lsd trannies only run roughly $250 more than the non lsd version. although they will not hold up to lots of power its still a good investment for the money. thi is assuming your doing a dohc zc swap.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:03 PM

Transzex on d-series.org seems like a pretty reliable source for info, and he has said the OBX is a reliable option. Besides, even if the OBX lasted half as long as the Quaife, it'd still be the better investment, as you could buy a second one for still less than the price of one Quaife.

For a full time racer, with a race budget, I'd get the Quaife just to be sure. But for my daily driver/every now and then racer, for a car I don't even know that I'll have for too long, I will be getting the OBX.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:54 PM
HCF Member

Besides, even if the OBX lasted half as long as the Quaife, it'd still be the better investment, as you could buy a second one for still less than the price of one Quaife.
Quaife has a lifetime warranty, even when used in racing. thats tough to beat.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

yes tranzex aka mr bone aka boner aka bone is a very good source for transmission info. his info is what gave me the courage to work on transmission and i cant thank him enough. there have been issues though with the obx unit not allowing the axles to come outta the lsd unit. a little machining though and your golden. although as stated the lifetime waranty from quaife is very nice.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:50 PM

Damn, didn't know that. THAT'S quality.