Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Some quick questions on changing out my transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
HCF Member
Default Some quick questions on changing out my transmission

I own a 99 civic lx. Did a y8 head swap and been hitting vtec everyday since. So my car has been going for maybe a thousand miles with a loud noise coming from the transmission housing. Probably didn't help that I was hitting 7000 rpms daily. It goes away when I press in the clutch. Friend told me it was the throw out bearing, so I changed the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throw out bearing. Still made a noise. The transmission has about 119,000 miles on it now.

Now I know its the input shaft bearing, but I decided to just upgrade my transmission and put it in myself. Now I gotta do all the same bull**** that I did when changing my clutch(ran into a lot of problems and it was very time consuming). So I bought an s8g transmission for $350 which I'm reading came off a 96-97 del sol si. I'm reading it's a d16y8, but just wondering if there is any difference between the s8g transmission and the d16y8 transmission off an ex model.

The transmission has 73,000 miles according to the seller and "has been tested and is in excellent running condition". I don't want my input shaft bearing to go on this transmission too, though. I was just wondering if I should bring it to a tranny shop and have them install a new one as a preventative measure of it happening again. Or to just bring it to one to get it inspected all together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Maybe you should just install a new ISB yourself in the original transmission and then sell the replacement.

Here's a good ISB DIY that Trust and Stiffler recently posted here:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...ng-change.html

Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Cat Fuсker

The main difference is the 5th gear ratio. 0.702 in a normal civic ex and 0.75 in the S8G.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:55 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Maybe you should just install a new ISB yourself in the original transmission and then sell the replacement.

Here's a good ISB DIY that Trust and Stiffler recently posted here:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...ng-change.html
I don't really feel like messing around and opening up my transmission. And plus I'll get an upgraded transmission out of it. I'll just stick with the better transmission.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
HCF Member

So I just swapped it out and the transmission runs fine. Now I have another problem. When I turn on the car it makes a really loud screeching sound. Like the starter isn't hitting the flywheel right. I had the same problem when I changed the clutch, but it wasn't as loud as it is now.

When I changed the clutch(the first time) and the starter made the sound, I just took off the starter and repositioned it and put it back on and it went away. Now this time I tried pulling off the starter and putting it back on again and it's still making that damn sound! I don't think it's a bad starter because It was perfectly fine before I changed out the transmission. I can't win with this car. I try to fix one thing and something else just ends up going wrong right after.

Does anyone have any ideas?