Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Default RE: tranny

man i went to the junk yard this morning and found the perfect car with the perfect tranny...i asked the guy with the end loader to lift the car so i could put something under it because it had no wheels and it was on the ground...well he did it and turns out he hit the trranny cracked the bottom of it and it was leaking i thought about it as i took some of the bolts out...then i was like forget it i dont wanna start with something thats already broken....so ill check again next week maybe i can do it next weekend or somthing....we will see....so you guys are saying when i put the tranny in with my old ecu the car is going to run in "safe mode"?...im going to have to figure out what wiring differences there are.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:15 PM

Your best bet is to get the manual trans ecu. Cause automatic transmisions have a lot mor electrical conections on them. I know you cant use a 91 prelude auto ecu in a manual it will not run at all. I would spend the money and get the ecu to avoid a second trip to the junk yard

Old 01-06-2005, 09:16 PM

well suposedly all i need to do is bring the tranny, shift linkage, clutch cable, pedal assembly, clutch, p plate, and flywheel and 400 bucks and this guy will do the ful swap...he said it costs like 350 to get a clutch chaged so he is basicaly doing all the rest for 400...and because i didnt get to do it today and i have no time for the next few weeks and my tranny right now is about shot im thinking about doing it...all i need to get is the tranny, flywheel and clutch, oh yea axels too and hopefuly that wont cost me anymore then 200...the junk yard charges 98 for a tranny and 30 day warrenty..im thinking about just picking up the tranny and full clutch and flywheel and axels an droping everything off and have him do it for 400 what do you guys think? good price or what?

Old 01-06-2005, 10:46 PM
HCF Member

not too bad, but the last time i payed for a clutch job, it was 150. (labor)

Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 PM

true...but you think 400 isnt that bad of a price to do the full conversion?...im gunnahave to spend like an extra 2 on top of that to get the tranny and the clutch and that crap...i got the other stuff free so i gues that would make me 600 into it....if it will hold out till i get time i may just do it when i pull the motor but...we will see...thanks for your imput guys

Old 01-07-2005, 11:30 PM

one more question...will four speed axels fit in the 5 speed tranny...until i have the money to buy the bigger hubs for the 5 speed axels?

Old 01-08-2005, 07:50 PM

They should fit call tour local parts dealer and have them make sure that the part numbers are the same.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:47 AM
HCF Member

i just did my 88 civic two days ago and the info sacicons gives is right on. listen to him!!!!!!!!! i ended up needing clutch flywheel and tranny, even though the bell housing and all looked exact match, also plan to have your flywheel surfaced and take time to install pressure plate correctly if you dont want the clutch to be niosy or slip, criticle to titghten the bolts alternatly and not to much at once or you will warp it, hope it works out for you
jonathan

Old 01-09-2005, 09:29 PM

Does anybody know if there is anything different with the shift lever to change a 4 speed to a 5 besides the numbers on it?
Thanks

Old 01-09-2005, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

i dont know, but i dont see why there would be.

EDIT: on afterthought, there may be a difference in the shift linkage, but i dont think so, im pretty sure its ALL internal.

and also, whenever you guys figure these things out, make sure you post it so it might help someone else out one day.

Quick Reply: tranny