Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Tranny info

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Default Tranny info

I am new to Honda, I have generally owned non-imports, sorry. My wife has her 94 civic ex with a 1.6 Vtec and loves it. Engine is in pretty good shape and so is the rest of the car, but auto tranny has gone out. A total slippage after the car has been running a bit, but can turn the car off wait a few turn back on and its fine for a bit more. Fluid was a little burnt smelling, no metal per say but did have greyish fibers and such at the bottom of the drain. Do these trans have carbon fiber clutch packs in them, that is what it reminds me of, never seen it before. With this much slippage thinking it needs a rebuild. Not wanting to do that. aamco wanted to charge her 1495 just for tear down to find out what was wrong. I was wanting to replace the trans if I could find one here locally, just so she could get some more miles out of it 300K+ and still kicking . I read that not all the auto trannys are junk just mainly the d series. Knowing nothing about the trannys in these how does one go about finding the series it is.
Also is there a place I could be pointed to find out what other car model trannys with the same engine, of course, will fit in this civic. Ex. same year accord with 1.6 VTec will that tranny bolt up? I know it sounds like you guys don't like the auto trans much but she doesn't drive a stick and loves this car.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bryan

Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 PM

Probably torque converter. I could be completely wrong though.

Only D-series transmissions will work. I think your only options are 92-95 automatic transmissions, but you might be able to use 96-00 also... i'm not sure about the wiring, that's why I'm unsure.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the reply.
If I am limited in the years of 92-95, am I also limited to model? Did accords use the same trannys when coupled with the same engines?

Anyone know of a source online for a compatability "chart" for Engine / Tranny combinations?

I know of a "low mile" 142k, engine and Tranny from a rollover. It's a 2.2 Vtec from an Accord though, not a Civic. Was thinking of trying to mod the whole thing and drop both in.
Any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by beeline
Thanks for the reply.
If I am limited in the years of 92-95, am I also limited to model?
no, as long as it is a D-series transmission

Did accords use the same trannys when coupled with the same engines?
Accords of the same years don't have D-series engines