Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Transmission conversion ?? Need some assistance please!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Default Transmission conversion ?? Need some assistance please!!

Hi guys, I am new to the Website but not new to Honda's. I have a question which I hope some of you Honda Guru's can help me out on.I will try not to make this to long of a post. My Mom is 60 years old. She had bought a 1998 Civic LX brand new and has nothing but good luck with the car since she has owned it. I bought a new 1999 Honda Civic EX and also have had awesome luck with the car as well. Well today was nota good day for my mom as She was in a pretty bad accident with her car. She was cut off by a semi and she ended up hitting the side wall on the interstate with the front of her car and then spun around and smashed the back, blew out 3 tires and blew the air bags. Basically her car is gonna be a total loss. The motor and trans are fine as I picked the car up from the tow yard and brought it home. She ended up in the hospital and when I got there to see her, the first question out of her mouth was "Can you fix my baby?" Again she is 60 years old and cannot afford to be buying a new car. Mind you she needs stitches and has a broken ankle and all this lady can think about is her car. She is a Die hard Civic person. LOL Anyways I had ordered myself a Fiji blue 08 Civic Si and I will be taking ownership of it in the end of this month. I still have my 99 Civic Ex and the car only has 90,000 miles on her. Well I want to help mom out and I told her I would give her my 99 so she doesn't have to worry about getting another car. My problem is this. My 99 is a 5 speed. Her 98 is an Auto. She cannot drive a stick. So I need to convert my 99 over to an Auto. I do have her car that I can use as a donor. Mind you I am very mechanically inclined. I have my own shop behind my house (30 x 50 2 story with a lift and all the other goodies in it.) I used to own a shop but ended selling the shop and got into Insurance. Anyone on here might be able to steer me in the right direction on what I will need to change? If I have to completely change out the harness/computer and motor/trans then I will but I wanted to see if there was any short cuts I could do so I wouldn't have to go through all that work. Again I know this is something out of the Norm but I know my 99 as I am the original owner and the car runs superb and has no problems. It still has the original paint and no rust or dents. I am just trying to help my Mom out and I figured since I am buying a new car at the end of the month, She might as well get my car. So please, if anyone on here has any useful info on this conversion. I would greatly appreciate it. I did a search and I found a bunch of posts on Auto's to stick but none on Sticks to Auto. Usually people want the 5 speed option and not the auto but my mom cannot drive a stick and there is no way I am gonna be able to teach her to drive a stick. Thanks for your time and any useful info you guys can give me.