Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

01 civic dashlights don't work Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Default 01 civic dashlights don't work Help!!

I recently put an aftermarket stereo deck into my 01 civic ex. I noticed that the car wiring had an illumination wire but the harness for the stereo didn't. So I did a terrible mistake and didn't cap the wire off before I finished everything else up. I put everything back together and started my car up. After driving for about 5 minutes I started to smell something coming from the ac unit so I pulled over and found that the wire had been touching a piece of metal and had short circuited most likely... So I went back and capped the wire off like I should of In the first place but the dash lights still won't come on. I have checked the accessory/radio fuse and that isn't blown. Is there any other fuses I should check or is it something with the wiring? Please help me out

Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 AM
HCF Member

You toasted your cluster's circuit. Some people have been able to pull the cluster and re-solder the back of the cluster to get the dash lights to come on but usually this problem means a new cluster. Unless you want to pay a crazy amount, go on ebay and buy a "new" (used) cluster with mileage approximately close to your mileage. 01-02 will both fit. 03-05 will fit with modification. For the 01-02, coupes have red lighting, sedans have blue lighting. Clusters from an automatic will have the P D D2 D3 type indicator on the cluster so it's up to you if that bothers you or not.

**To remove the cluster: It's been a while but I'll try to go off memory. Lower your steering wheel all the way. At the top of the cluster bezel there are 2 screws. Unscrew them and pull out the bezel. Then you can directly unscrew the cluster (maybe 3 screws???) and pull it out to inspect the backside.

**For the future: Even if the stereo has an illumination/dimmer wire, DON'T connect it. Just tape it off. That circuit is unprotected and chances are you will blow your cluster again.