Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Grounding points

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Default Grounding points

Hey guys and girls (respectively),

Does anyone here know of any good grounding sources for hooking up an amp? I've been working on my girlfriend's car since last night trying to figure out why the Amp won't get any power.

I hooked up the remote wire from the Amp to the harness by splicing them together and installing a switch to turn it on and off. I ran the power wire (8 gauge) from the battery to the amp and then the ground wire is hooked up but still no juice, so far I pulled the side cushions to see if I can ground it off the body but it doesn't seem to work at all.

Someone help me out here? I can take pictures of the work in progress at anyones request.

Oh and its a:

1998 Honda Civic EX
5 speed 4 Door.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Grounding points

just anything like the body/frame will be perfect. Did you hook up the blue REM wire to a constant 12v source....? i had that same trouble with my rockford fosgate amp but once i hooked it up the amp turned right on...

Old 04-08-2006, 11:59 AM

Yeah I hooked it up to the blue remote wire on the harness, I was told that was a good source since its powered of the car and into the radio.

Actually I got the wrong gauge wire its supposed to be a 10 gauge wire set instead of an 8.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

8 gauge is fine.

Make sure you didni't hook the remote to the power antenna. That one is usually blue too.

There are two great ground points in the trunk near the taillights under the carpet.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

if you have a volt meter laying around give the power wire a test to see if its getting 12v and ground the volt meter to were you have your wire grounded. I just installed my system a little wile ago and i couldent figer out why it wasent powering, it was because my groud was really ****ty..under the carpit there 4 bolts that are attached to the frame, a loosned them a bit and put the wire under them...works great

Old 04-08-2006, 05:52 PM

Ok so heres the deal, for some reason it worked, but when I switched it over to CD player mode the amp shut itself off, this was prior to re-installing the correct gauge wiring.

So I went to Circuit City and had them look at it, this guy I know told me that I had hooked it to a the blue wire which powers the antenna and that I was supposed to hook it up to the blue and white wire...

Well I re-installed it made it alot cleaner than last time and hooked the remote wire to the blue and white and used the correct gauge wire. Now the amp doesn't switch on at all (I have a switch I installed for easy on/off purposes) everything is mounted right, even the ground is in the correct spot.

Am I better off tapping into the red 12v source? [sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=helpout.gif]

Old 04-08-2006, 08:08 PM
HCF Member

R u sure that ur ground wire is grounded?
I hooked mine to the bolt under the seat

Old 04-08-2006, 10:46 PM

Yeah the problem was solved turns out there was a short in the blue and white wire so a friend of mine just hooked the wire to the ignition and voila it works.

So yeah I put the car completely back together except for the backseat. Thanks to all who replied.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:54 PM
HCF Member

Sniper pwnt u.