Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Head Unit Help! ~A.S.A.P~

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Default RE: Head Unit Help! ~A.S.A.P~

Ok let me start off with this because this all makes no sense.... ok taping off both orange wires leaving them alone... no gauge lights at all... now hooking up the solid orange (illumination) to the red wires.... Gauges Work!!.... turn headlights on... The gauges go off???? wtf kinda bull**** is that... grounds should all be fine i seems... red to red... yellow to yellow... black to black... speakers to speakers.... blue to blue and to blue from amp..... thats my setup..... all fuses are fine?? plz tell me wtf is up with that?????????? thanx

Old 03-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok.... tell us here.. is that orange wire hooked up from the RADIO or from the factory radio harness??????

if its hooked up thru the factory harness orange wire to the red ignition wires then thats why they work... your sending voltage thru the radio harness to the gauge lights.... and when you turn the lights on your probably shorting out the controls somehow.....
if its hooked up that way unhook it now your gonna set your car on fire!!!!!!
have to tried adjusting your dimmer control with the parking lights ON? could be something as lame as your dimer is set to low which doesnt look like they are on at all.....

dont just guess wires!!!! if you cannt follow directions as they are stated then take it to a instaler and have them instal what ever you want! cause if you just keep changen wires your gonna set your car on fire!!!!!! its only a matter of time!

Old 03-24-2007, 07:23 PM

I did hook it up the right way i know how to install a head unit.. all it takes is patience... and matchin up colors... so if i know the gauges work since they come on being rigged?? how do i know what to do or what type of problem am i looking at??? who would i bring this too.. too get it fixed... what would this estimated cost me... honestly i just want it fixed i hate this bull**** with all my instrument liights being off... its like the fuse is blownn but its not... its just i guess everyhting on that line dont work... the dimmer lights the dinger 4 leavin ur lights on... i dunno wut do u suggest 4 a final on this matter/..

Old 03-24-2007, 07:24 PM

BTW yes the orange wires come off the adapter from the stock wires from the car...

Old 03-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well dont hook up that orange wire to the red wire...
most likely your dimmer switch is just bad.... pull it outta your dash and ensure its pluged in tight... if it is pluged in tight then id say its just gone bad... if its blown fuses before it coulda fried it BUT without knowing if ya did any work at that same time it started blown fuses and wentout then hard to tell if thiers a nother problem... BUT a dimmer switch is preaty easy to find... probably just a few bucks if ya go check out some junk yards around ya...

its a very common part cause they are on EVERY civic ever made so it snot rare,,,

Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 PM

ok one thing.. it could be the dimmer even though the gaauges did come on...? or is that just because it was gettin power from the amp?? also.. where is the dimmer system located tyo get to it?? is there a colored plug?? how hard/easy is it to install myself...? i appriciate the help thanx my civic is 99 ex if that helps?

Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i believe the dimmer control is all one piece..... should be just a harness plug behind the switch and thats it.. at least i believe!

realy easy to replace!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:11 PM

iiight tru... im not gonna get this cause i can get cheaper probly at a junk yard but is this what i need? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...QQcmdZViewItem.... only thing is what are we lookin at if after this it still aint workin?? wiring problem?? thanks so much.,... also if you can help me with this to finish my problems... i just got a new cd/dvd player and the disk i have in the unit is stuck/jammed i believe i hit eject it motors down the plate then sounds like its comin out but getts jammed and then it just shuts... do i cant get out the disk... now i tried ejectin and pokin it wit another cd a bit to loosin it up but dont seem to be helpin... any suggestions??? thanx

Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya replace that part... and if its not that... not sure what else it could be....

but with the new radio not ejecting the cd... try to reset the radio and see if that dont clear it out BUT if it doesnt... means ya got some work to do...
but if reseting the radio doesnt work then best to just take it back and exchange it for a new unit cause its problably bad.. and if ya go thru all the work and it does it again... youll have to go thru it again.!

youll have to pull the radio and then pull off the cover ontop of the radio and look at the cd mechanics and look for some plastic gears and with a small screw driver just keep turning the gears to manualy eject the cd.... ive had to do that before to get my cd outta a bad cd player......
only problem about doing that if the radio is new.... is they might have a warente label over the lid and if its opened it voids your warente! then your screwed..... they wont exchange it even if it realy is bad...

Old 03-24-2007, 08:44 PM

tru bro thanxz