Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Replacing My System

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Replacing My System

For a while now my driver's speaker and the rear passenger speaker did not work very well. The rear passenger speaker does not work at all and the driver's side will make a little sound every once and a while if I turn it up a high. Instead of troubleshooting full of headaches I just want to replace all my speakers and wires. I want to install Sonyxplods because in the thread about them everyone seems to think that they are good for how much they cost. My only question about doing this is how to run the wires and what kind of wire to use.I'm new to car audio so I'm hoping someone can walk me through it. The speakers have two wires going to them, I'm guessing that one goes to the head unit and the other is ground? How do I know which is which? My other question is how do I run the wire from my head unit to my door because that grommet looks difficult to run another wire through.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Replacing My System

PM stumasters. he's an audio genius.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:55 PM
HCF Member

I just got my Sony Xplod 6x9s and they sound awesome. Great bang for your buck.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

If your planning on running wiring, it might be better to have a shop do it for you, because I can personaly tell you it's gonna be a bitch running the wires at least to the door speakers.

Your factory wires actualy run to the deck, both of them. One is negative and one is positive. They don't go to grounds somewhere in the car, even though it sounds logical for them to.

The factory wiring is really pretty decent unless your amping it. I would say just go with the speaker upgrades, and plug em up to the factory wiring and see how it sounds. If its still cutting out somewhere, then you can make decisions about running wiring.

If you were to run a 4-channel amp I would probably run some 12 to 16 gauge speaker wire, standard stuff, from the amp in the trunk or wherever you mount it, to the speakers through the car, hiding it under the carpet along the way. 12 gauge would be awesome, but if you want to save money 16 will work fine.

I don't have an issue with Sony's middle end to higher end stuff, I don't own any, but I hear good things from people who do. I myself am going to do alpines, but thats just cause I am a freak about trying to keep everything the same.