Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

is there a way to get head unit out w/o the keys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:46 PM
HCF Member
Unhappy is there a way to get head unit out w/o the keys?

I bought this car with the head unit installed already and the kid did not give me the keys or whatever they're called to swap it out if I wanted to. Is there a way to get it out? I haven't had radio or CD for almost two years now and I'm getting sick of it cuz I'm making long commutes now and there's nothing to listen to cuz the thing won't even turn on. I hope it's just a shorted out fuse, but who knows.

The CD head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P8000R. I went on Pioneer's website and they had the P7800 and the P8200, but mine was not in there for downloading a PDF manual. I have no idea what to do to get the thing out.

Thanks.

chris

Old 06-19-2009, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

just pull, lol.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
HCF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by croninc
just pull, lol.
WOW! You sure do sound smart!! I wish I had thought of that! Maybe I'll just use a crowbar. You think that would work?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

he is right JUST PULL until the radio is out than just bend the bracket out... than bend it back into rectangle after lol.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

unfortunately in your year range there is not a removable dash kit or panel so you only have three options

1) as the above mentioned, pull. i would recommend getting behind the radio and pushing from the back so you don't damage the radio. (worst option)

2) make your own keys out of a thin sheet of metal. make it about 1/4 inch wide and 4 or 5 in long. slide the keys in the slots on each side of the radio and release the clips, then push the radio out from the back. (acceptable)

3) go to a place that has an installation bay and ask if they have any spare pioneer keys that they will give you. then you will have the keys and you can do as in number 2. as far as I know Pioneer has not changed their keys in several years, i know they haven't since i've been doing stereos about 6 years. (best and easiest option)

Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 PM
HCF Member

Get radio keys for ANY radio.... slide them into the sides of the radio can. you will need to insert them maybe 2 inches.
Fabricating keys..... cut some sections of coat hanger, pound them REAL flat.
Pound them slow, as not to create too much heat.