Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Upgrade my system

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Default Upgrade my system

I just bought a 2000 ex sedan. This car has what I'm guessing is a "premium" sound package with cd player, a separate in-dash 6-disc changer, component speakers in the front doors, and I'm guessing 6x9's in the rear deck. Overall, it sounds ok, if a little light on the bass. I would like to start upgrading the system and have put together a package from cardomain but before I purchase it, I would like to get a critique/ advice from my fellow civic enthusiasts. Also, I will be piecemealing this system together as funds become available. What would be the best way to go about upgrading my system and in what order? I'm guessing the HU first, amp and sub, then component speakers. I plan on removing the 6x9's in the rear deck and leaving the spaces empty to allow the sub to filter through to the cab better as I am designing this as a budget SQ system. So, here's the pieces I'm planning on putting in.

Head Unit
Components
Amp
Sub

My plan is to run the components off of one channel each and bridge the other two for the sub. I'm trying to get as much SQ as possible while keeping costs down. If it helps, I listen mostly to ska, indie, rock, and some rap. Thanks for taking the time to go over this and please, fire away!

Matt

Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Upgrade my system

Well, if you listen to ska, indie, and rock mostly, a sub might be a little overkill, depending on how big of one you get. If you're looking for bang for your buck, get a headunit that has a decent output something like 50 watts x 4, and then get some nice 6x9 threeways in the back, and then replace the speakers up front. That'll offer you good bass, and skip the expensive sub/amp. However, if you want a sub and amp, take a look at circuit city's website, and wait for something to go on sale, or get some kind of combo deal. That's just my opinion, there are a lot more experienced car audio guys on this forum.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:32 AM

rear deck would be good use for nice set of mids of you want good SQ..

Old 05-26-2006, 01:52 PM

All of that stuff looks suitable, if you aren't looking to slam super hard etc.. I would still suggest a Sub even with your listening tastes, as a sub adds a LOT of missing sound to any kind of music, not just for bassheads like me great choice on the sub IDQ makes great stuff. I havent used a Pioneer head in about 10+ years, but I have friends that swear by them ( My personal preferences are Eclipse, Alpine, Nakamichi, and Panasonic (hard to make some of these skip) ) The amp might be able to use an upgrade to a better amp if you have more $$$ but I ran PA for a year or so.. and actually was happy.. Whatever you get.. good luck.. oh yeah.. and it sounds like you are going the correct rout on what to replace and when.. although I would still keep rear components, or 6X9's in there for better SQ you will not get a much better bass response without anything in those holes , if it is even any better..

Harold

Old 05-26-2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks, for the tips. I think I'll upgrade the 6x9's on the rear deck, but just leave them running off of the head unit, rather than amp them.

Matt