Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

upgrade brake system

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:29 PM
HCF Member
Default upgrade brake system

I use my car for delivering pizzas. I have some extra cash laying around and was thinking about upgrading my brakes. Ive always wanted some of those nice colored calipers (sp) that you see on cars like from fast and furious and show cars and what not. Are those kinds of brakes only for like track cars or are those good for daily driver street cars? or upon further thinking, I guess I could just paint my calipers right? but still, id like to upgrade my rotors, pads, and shoes.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:51 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: upgrade brake system

Most of those calipers are nothing but painted stock ones. Best bang for the buck is a nice slotted replacement rotor, good set of pads, Stainless braided brake lines and have the stock caliper, master cylinder and brake booster checked for wear or damage and replace if necessary. Check the fluids condition as well, cuz if it is dark grey or black it should be changed and than have the brakes bled.

Try to stay away from big rotors unless you want to get the calipers to go along with it, but that will end up costing you a lot more than you intended to spend. Also stay away from cross drilled rotors as they actually reduce the amount of surface for the pad to slow the car down and if they are cheap quality they are susceptible to cracking.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: upgrade brake system

i know nothing about brakes. thanks for the input. could you throw out some good brands, and if you know a place to get them cheaper thatd be great as well.... how much am i looking at $$$ wise for the parts?