Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

What are the things called that the bulb socket plug into?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 PM
HCF Member
Default What are the things called that the bulb socket plug into?

Apparently the guy that owned the civic before me had some sort of alarm system installed and when he uninstalled it, he did not really do it right. My driver side turn signal is not working because two of the three wires running into the bulb socket have been cut. Not only that, they have been cut right up to the clip that plugs into the socket.

There is my question, there is the bulb, then you have the socket that the bulb plugs into - what is the white plug called that plugs into the socket? Is this the pigtail? I am attempting to solder it back, but this is proving hard because I literally have about 1/2 inch or less to work with on the clip side.

I am trying to find out what this is called to see if I can buy another one if this does not work (can't pass inspection without this you know). Or, does anyone know another way that I can fix this? Thanks!

Mike

Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Picture of what you're talking about?

Easiest thing to do is go to a junk yard and cut one off a junk car. Makes it easier to work with.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

you're talking about what would connect the socket to the factory harness?? yeah, pigtail.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
Picture of what you're talking about?

Easiest thing to do is go to a junk yard and cut one off a junk car. Makes it easier to work with.
That would be awesome if I could actually find one in a junk yard around here. I have pretty much run out of close options. I have called most of the major ones around and no one has any 91-95 civics. I actually need quite a few parts from a junk yard.

Originally Posted by cobb2819
you're talking about what would connect the socket to the factory harness?? yeah, pigtail.
Yeah, that is what I thought. I think I can get it by soldering (though I am still a newbie at soldering and not quite gotten the hang of it - but that is another issue.

If I can get is soldered good enough to hold a little and actually work - a little electrical tape should do me for now - once it is installed in the lens it doesn't usually move.

Mike

Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

Fixed! I was able to get the plug out of the plastic harness piece of the pigtail, which gave me a little bit more room to work with. I was not able to do a perfect solder, but I was able to get it done good enough - now the signal is finally working!

Mike