ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

bad wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Default bad wiring

Lately I have had trouble with my 91 shorting out for some reason the seatbelt light(would come on for no reason)buzzer, brakes, and hazards. This also caused the car to not start when I had my foot on the brake pedal, die when I applied the brakes. It has been running bad, like top speed sometimes about 30, just really lacking in power, I figured there was a short or power drain, or bad ground somewhere. I don't know much about electronics, so I was just looking for bad wires. I knew there was a probablility of chewed wires since the car had been sitting for 4 years.
I also found corrosion in my tail lights, 4 bulbs, one totally busted. Part of this from the new lights leaking water in(altezza).
today I spent the day tearing the inside up checking wiring , found 3 gnawed areas and about 4 ft of partly melted bare wire from the dome light to some other wires and two more wires were melted to those. I pulled them apart and took out my dome light wiring from the connector under the dash.
I don't know for sure if this was the cause of the problem, but my seatbelt light goes off now after a few seconds when the key is turned , before it would stay on.
Anybody on here know about wiring in these cars, and if that could have caused all my trouble, those things connected in some way? Since I don't know about wiring I am trying to figure out if it was the problem and why it would do what it did.
awful not being able to drive my car and stuck with 10mpg truck lately.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Default RE: bad wiring

What it sounds like is that cluster of wires that got melted together, at least 1 was a ground wire therefore you were completing a circuit causing all that.