ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

CEL 22, Bad VTEC Pressure Switch?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:37 PM
HCF Member
Red face CEL 22, Bad VTEC Pressure Switch?

I just want to get advise here before I start going into left field and spend unnecessary money. I have a 1992 Honda Civic Si Hatchback with a D16z6 motor. 4 months prior to getting a CEL 22 I had replaced the gaskets and screen filter on the VTEC spool valve becasue it was leaking oil around there. In addition I cleaned out the spool valve as well. Well, the leak was fixed but a few months later I started getting a CEL 22 twice a week. It usually happens when I first start it in the morning. When I drive for awhile and turn the engine off and restart it, the light goes away. I cleared the CEL by pulling out the back up fuse and it keeps coming up CEL 22 when it does light up. This is the third week it started coming on after clearing it. It doesn't happen every morning. I checked the oil and the level was on the full mark. I did not notice any obvious oil leaks and the garage has no puddles. I checked the ground (black) harness lead that connects to the pressure switch to chassis ground and it showed continuity. I measured the spool valve lead to chassis ground and measured around 26 ohms. I checked and reseated the connectors on the spool valve to ensure good contact and it still ocassionally comes on. I even tried to wiggle the connectors while it is running to see if a loose connection will make it come on and nothing comes on. I am tempted to replaced the oil pressure swtich on the spool valve. What do you guys think. The only thing different before the CEL 22 is that I put in Valvoline synthetic oil after using regular oil for the past 8 months. Would that cause it? Could a bad PVC hose affect the VTEC oil pressure? Any advise is much appreciated.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

FYI! Replaced the oil pressure switch and fixed the problem.