ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

what should i use???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Question what should i use???

sup guys i had some questions maby must of you all ready hear this but i need some help. im planing to get and ECU for mi 98 civic, it has a d16y7 non-vtec. in few weeks im going to boost it, but i wana go the safe way and not run lean, this is a mild buit plning to boost 8psi.i bought 255lph walbro fuel pump, OBX intake manifold, 440cc Delphi injectors, hi flow fuel rail and some cheap *** fuel regulator, i heard from a guy that this injectors they will lean at 6,500 rpm, or less so im looking to buy and ECU. i order the jumper harnes obd2a to obd1 but i need help to found the right ECU. can u guys help me please????

can i use this even know is a d16y7?Chipped OBD1 Non-VTEC ECU | HA Motorsports

this one is more expensive but will deliver i guees
HA Motorsports Moates Demon Ready P06 ECU

Old 02-14-2012, 05:01 AM
HCF Member

Wow, had to read that a couple times....

What size turbo are you putting on? Where are you getting the info for your parts? What other mods are on your engine?

Injectors won't "go lean". What happens is when they can't open and close fast enough to keep up with the injection cycling (like at high rpm), they fail wide open, which means they'll dump a ton of fuel into the cylinders. If the conditions in the engine at that point are still lean, then your injectors are too small. Typically when the injectors fail wide open, the excess fuel kills the power. The trick is to figure out how much fuel your engine is going to need, and program your ECU to run the injectors efficiently (as well as ignition).

For a point of reference, our race Miata is currently running a 6psi supercharger on a 1.8 liter motor, and our injectors are 550, which will be undersized if we crank up the boost beyond 8psi.

Have you looked into a Megasquirt? I've helped some friends who own those, and they are leaps and bounds above the cheap crap that's out there. If you can spend a little more, look into some of the new ECUs from AEM. Their software has come a long way in recent years.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianL
Wow, had to read that a couple times....

What size turbo are you putting on? Where are you getting the info for your parts? What other mods are on your engine?

Injectors won't "go lean". What happens is when they can't open and close fast enough to keep up with the injection cycling (like at high rpm), they fail wide open, which means they'll dump a ton of fuel into the cylinders. If the conditions in the engine at that point are still lean, then your injectors are too small. Typically when the injectors fail wide open, the excess fuel kills the power. The trick is to figure out how much fuel your engine is going to need, and program your ECU to run the injectors efficiently (as well as ignition).

For a point of reference, our race Miata is currently running a 6psi supercharger on a 1.8 liter motor, and our injectors are 550, which will be undersized if we crank up the boost beyond 8psi.

Have you looked into a Megasquirt? I've helped some friends who own those, and they are leaps and bounds above the cheap crap that's out there. If you can spend a little more, look into some of the new ECUs from AEM. Their software has come a long way in recent years.
its 2 late now i bough one chiped ECU from HA motorsport with a custom base map for mi set up hopefully tat will help me a little until i tuned it. if it dont work i know is a 50% chanse that it will ahaha i posibly broke the piggy bank to buy a hondata. thank for the info christian