EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

EK mini-me build!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

wow.
does the engineering term, KISS (keep it simple stupid) come to mind...
i can't believe i didnt think of that hahah

yea these little motors are just expensive to make such little power increases.
but who can resist a high compression, all motor, revving to the ceiling!
keep me updated when you start your build!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

Bought- the y7 and y8 blocks and head, y8 head gasket, intake mani gasket, valve cover gasket, and paint. i picked up a new vtec solenoid and y8 intake mani for 55 bucks last night.
Buying friday- new oem honda head bolts, duralast clutch kit from autozone (gotta love employee discounts!), throttle body gasket, new p/s and alternator belt, upper and lower radiator hose, exhaust mani gasket, cat. delete pipe, new air filter, oil filter, and fluids.
Then the next 2 days off, its getting painted, and assembled!
so pumped to be riding with an H on the hood!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

YA KNOW, ITS A GOOD THING I LIKE THESE CARS!

>(

im FUSTRATED!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

buddy from high school with a hoist is coming by tomorrow to pull the old block and tranny, installing the new clutch kit (duralast) and water pump into the old ex tranny and y7 block, and drop the tranny and y7 block into Betsy!
valve cover, exhaust mani, intake mani and cam covers have a fresh coat of 2000 degree primer on them, ready for chrome-red and aluminum silver paint.
once the camera desides to work with this computor or i get a chance to get up to the library i'll upload some pics. 1 more week til shes running!
Long term- considering a nitrous kit?!? 100 shot of laughing gas and some bolt ons?? any suggestions, cautions or comments?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Make sure you have some sort of engine management if you plan on spraying nitrous...

Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
HCF Member

everything comes down to legal issues when i move to arizona in 2 months. im going all stock for now.
im planning on hooking up a cat for e-checks out there for the test... maybe ill switch back to the original ecu for the test and plug a p28 and the jumper once i get back from the testing? that or ill change my address to an area that doesnt require checks... i just know its illegal to go obd1 in most areas.... is there any possible way if there are no cels on to even know a car has an obd1 ecu instead of obd2? is the hook up different or anything at all. i cant find much info about that specific area but in general?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:44 AM

Yes. There is an OBD2 communications port located under the steering wheel area where the OBD2 scanner would be connected. If the ECU is an OBD1, the scanner will only get "No Communications" from it.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

then im screwed unless i go back and forth everytime i get echecked, and that wouldnt work if i wanted to use high flow fuel system and high compression pistons or even a nitrous kit... so stock it is... unless i can make friends with someone from an area that doesnt need to be checked and make my address for that location... we will have to see.
but for now the y7/8 will be fine.
i painted the valve cover and cam cover in chrome red by duplicolor after using the 2000 degree primer... no good. its maroon. ill have to resand it and re do it another time though, i have no time to be playing around with paint schemes... however the intake and exhaust manifolds look amazing in fresh aluminum paint. atleast until i can buy a new longer header and test pipe combo and a catback.
still no pics... but someone who has much more experience with honda swaps is coming by this weekend to finish the build. it sucks this cars been sitting so long... things are much harder to remove now.... such as brake rotors and spindle nuts...

Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 AM

If you install a test pipe (delete the cat) you will throw a secondary o2 sensor CEL. Keep the stock cat, or get something 49 state legal (CA does not allow anything but stock I believe). No worries on letting your car sit. I had a perfectly running supercharged y8 with the works done to it and I pulled the motor out for a H22 and 4 months later I finally got it towed to a shop yesterday to be finished since the wiring was a little over my head.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

would it be easier to try to disconnect the strut mount n drop the whole clip or try to fandagle the axle out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EK mini-me build!