EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

Honda noob in desprate need of some answers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Default Honda noob in desprate need of some answers.

Hey, so Im currently looking into buying a new car and as you may of guessed im looking into civics. Now I know my way around an engine fairly well, but dont know a lot about Hondas specifically. Im planning on getting a 96-99 civic hatch and want to do a swap. I dont need it to be the fastest car in town and i dont really want to invest every penny I make in the mods but i would like it to push past 200 HP when im done. So here are my questions.
What kind of swap would you guys suggest as the most compatible (least likely to have bugs when swapped)? I was looking into b20's and was planning on going that route, any feedback on that swap? The car I get might also not have power steering, will that effect or limit me on what kind of swaps I can do? Also where is the best source to get JDM equipment (I heard you can get engines that are guaranteed to run and are under 30,000)?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 AM

B20's are not bad motors, however, they are not good for boost. I am sure you can get 200whp without boost on a b20. It will take a lot or work/time/money though IMO.

The generation Civic you are looking at is 96-00, not 96-99. Just a FYI.

Not having Power steering is fine. Over 50% of swapped Civics do not have powersteering, or A/c, including me.

I am not too familiar with online engine "shops" I am sure some other members will chime in with feedback for you on that soon enough.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 PM
HCF Member

G23! FRANKENSTEIN SWAP! 200+ factory hp!
take an f23 bottom end and fill it with k20 pistons (for n/a, use the stock pistons for a turbo) and top it off with an obd2 prelude h22 head that way you dont have to convert it to obd1 and deal with all that. use a prelude ecu and either an f22 or f23 tranny. (depending on if youre going n/a, if so use the f22. or spend some extra dough and do an f2b tranny swap and use any b series tranny you want, B16 or B18 would do! xP)

the honda accord/acura 2.3cl, f23 engine is found in nearly every junkyard i've ever been to.
this swap gives you loads of bottom end torque, with a good solid bottom end (iron sleeves, ect.) and a high reving dohc vtec top end, without spending all the money on a straight f22 swap. the hardest part is you have to plug 2 oil drains in the head and press the water pump gear from the h22 into the f23 water pump?? (correct me if i'm wrong)
do a search for g23s. i just picked up a couple d series engines from a guy thats doing one in his crx, nasty! just flat out nasty stuff!

Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by outaluck1
Hey, so Im currently looking into buying a new car and as you may of guessed im looking into civics. Now I know my way around an engine fairly well, but dont know a lot about Hondas specifically. Im planning on getting a 96-99 civic hatch and want to do a swap. I dont need it to be the fastest car in town and i dont really want to invest every penny I make in the mods but i would like it to push past 200 HP when im done. So here are my questions.
What kind of swap would you guys suggest as the most compatible (least likely to have bugs when swapped)? I was looking into b20's and was planning on going that route, any feedback on that swap? The car I get might also not have power steering, will that effect or limit me on what kind of swaps I can do? Also where is the best source to get JDM equipment (I heard you can get engines that are guaranteed to run and are under 30,000)?
Any updates?