Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

95 Civic EX swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Default RE: 95 Civic EX swap

I'd also like to add that I would prefer a Honda engine swap... and I really appreciate all the feedback!!!

p.s.- reaper said a good one... hahahaaha.....

Old 01-28-2008, 12:29 AM
HCF Member

Well, when you say that money isn't an issue, then it's just a matter of finding the most powerful engine. That's why we were asking you to specify a price range. If you like honda engines and money was no concern, then the best Honda engine you could pull from a production car would be the one from the Honda/Acura NSX. That's a V6, which is much larger than the D and B series engines found in Civics. You'd have to spend money cutting and reshaping the frame along with fabricating new parts when old ones don't work. You'd also have to fabricate new mounts and maybe put in new mounting points. Since the NSX is a RWD car, you'd have to convert your civic to a RWD car somehow, or make the RWD transmission work with your car. You could do this with enough money, and it'd probably take custom manufacturing.

That was a ridiculous and extreme example that no one's done to my knowledge. An H series swap from a prelude involves one or two of those steps I mentioned above, which some consider to be a pain as it is. A B series swap is pretty much a bolt-in job. You have to exchange some parts, but there shouldn't be any chassis modifications.

So that said, you need to specify how much money you want to spend. There's someone out there who's put a Corvette engine (LS1) into a Civic. It involved a lot of welding and the end result might've been more Corvette than Civic, but you get the picture. If money isn't an object, you can do ANYTHING. Read threads about what other people are doing. Decide what it is you want and what you want to spend. Then try asking your question again.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:20 PM

^ I agree. If you got like 12k you can put in and RSX-S engine in there. Our if money is not a prob...Buy the new SI and BOOSt the hell out of it.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM

Jamned made it all clear.. thanks alot... ok, let me rephrase that..... I'd like to swap my stock engine, for a honda B-K-H series engine.... and within these specifics, money is not an issue.. thanks alot!!!

^_^

Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

There's still a lot for you to choose from. An H series engine will offer the most torque throughout your RPM range...which translates to acceleration (?--correct me if I'm wrong on this). I don't see many people talking about K swaps as they're expensive. If you want to get a general idea of price range, look at hmotorsonline.com and browse their swaps.

If you want the most power out of the motor, forced induction (FI) and/or nitrous is a must. If you want your car to be a daily driver, you have to consider how FI will affect your car's reliability and driveability. I don't know anything about K series swaps, so I can't take those into consideration. So ignoring K series swaps, I think you'd get the most torque and hp out of a built up FI H22a vtec, probably with a H2B transmission converter so you could put on a B-series tranny.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, what kind of power are you looking for?

If it's actually horsepower you're after, a K20a2 would be the best choice (and they're not $12k, the swap would be closer to half that). Unfortunately, there's not all that much information for K20 swaps as most ordinary tuners can't afford it. Also, I'd like to note (trust me on this, I might be a future rsx owner, so I've been doing my research lol) that K20s don't have that much torque.

If it's torque you're after, an h22 is your best bet (and they produce a little less power (i believe jdm h22a's are rated at 200hp at the crank. K20a2's are rated at 201 at the crank) than k20a2, also).

And an h2b is a good idea, but I think you have to raise the rear of your hood for it to fit (in an eg anyway)