Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

B16b vs B18c1/B18c5

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:52 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: B16b vs B18c1/B18c5

ORIGINAL: GetItBoy

b16b vs. b18c (type r's)
since i found a thread on this already i didnt wanna start a new one.
there are so many things you can do to a honda civic. and ive decided i wanna stay NA.

i hear if goin NA, then the itr motor is the way to go. but i wanna know a little more about the ctr motor. does the itr motor beat it out in every way?

for me, i would love the fact that i could tell people i have a b16b. i know people say b16's are waay over-rated, and the b16b is way more than it is worth. but something is pullin me towards it. im not lookin to be the fastest guy in the world. thats why i decided on stayin NA, that plus i wont have to go through the hassle of everything dealing with forced induction. (prepping block, tuning, buying the parts, installing, etc..)

ORIGINAL: sacicons

B18c1- great torque, great HP. good all-around motor. takes to mods very well. compared to the b16, its everything the 1.6 isnt. good throttle response, good low end torque. high compression though. keep boost low. even with low boost, some impressive numbers should be possible. has different cylinder head design than the other b-series vtecs. has dual runner intake system, which switchs runner length with rpm. wasnt as great as everyone thought it would be. has higher compression than other B-heads, due to large quench pads in combution chamber. these also help fend off detonation, but that might be too advanced for this post, so ill leave it at that. only drawback is cost. swaps go for about 50% more than a b16 swap.

B16b-better torque than b16a, but still nothing substantial. crazy top-end power. probably the craziest 1.6 in any production car. too expensive to justify, unless you are building a type r replica, and are looking to get some credit for that. its a great motor for NA, insane compression, way too high for boost, i know its possible, but why? you can do better for less money. can run 2-2.5 times the cost of a B16a swap. for the money, go with a gsr. the only thing a CTR motor (civic type r) has over gsr, is a little hp, and a lot of bling. comes with lsd trans.

B18c5- the Holy Grail of the Bs. good low end torque, great high end power. compression is too high for much boost. a beast in a lightweight civic. good for NA drag racing and auto-cross. comes with lsd trans. way too expensive for most people. if you get one for a good price, take it. can run 2.5-3 times the price of a B16a2 swap. most parts are interchangeable with other motors, allowing for some crazy combos.
from this thread: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_10612/tm.htm